WD My Book Essential Edition - Laptop Do not recognize My Book

I have a WD My Book Essential Edition External Hard Drive. I have not used it for more than a year. I connected it to the power outlet, connected the USB to my laptop Pavilion dv7 Windows 7. Then I start to hear that My Book is doing a noise like Hard Drive searching, then it suddenly stops. I see that the front led indicator is moving and then stay on completely like in idle. I look to the laptop and find that External Hard Drive is not visible in Windows Explorer / Computer path. Could you let me know how could I access the data there and make My Book visible? I tried with a different computer and I got the same. Also I bought a new power supply and a new USB 2.0 cable and nothing. Please help!

I ran the Data Lifeguard application. The quick test passed but extended test failed. It shows that have bad sectors. I selected “Repair” and software can’t do the repair and ask me to contact WD Support. Any clues?

Hello, I also have same problem with exactly the same type WD My Book Essential. I didn’t need it for a few years. Now I’m looking for some old data from this WD HDD.

My problem is the the encryption unlock.exe works fine. But after unlocking the drive is simply hanging and it is not showing the contents - All I see is a blank screen while the sandclock is running.

Did you find any solutions to recover the data?