Wd my book essential 3TB usb3.0 Windows 7 64 bits

The ability of the computer to backup when the PC is idle, does not work at all. At startup, when  WD My Book is connected, other programs like p.e. Windows Media Player do not react at all no. And it takes too much time before those programs do respond. The same phenomenon occurs when WD my book is starting when the user is active on his PC

Suggestion: Allow at startup of the PC that users  decide whether  they want to use my book. The choice must be available during the entire session of the PC.  During the session of the PC users must be able to switch-off WD my book by software.

NajBo, your post sounds more like a good Feature Request; best placed in the Ideas Exchange section. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it and will allow more users to support your idea. However, I would first search and make sure that there are no other active Feature Requests suggesting the same or similar improvements. If there is, then you could add your post and vote on it.

External Drive Ideas

Regards,

It is a fact that the automatic backup  appears to be, a too heavy load for the PC. I hope that WD herself find a suitable solution fort his problem. In this way I can’t work with this product.

I would like you to see this message more as a serious complaint.

Regards NajBo

NajBo, the WD Community was created for Users -such as yourself- to help one another and to share your experiences and ideas with one another.  As Moderators, we are simply here to facilitate and oversee the Community. If you have a question or issue related to the WD Community itself, us Moderators will be happy to respond and assist you. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD or would like to express a complaint, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,

Najbo,

I’m like you inasmuch as I’ve got the WD 1tb Mybook set up to do WD’s backups and additionally I’ve got Win7 doing a it’s default backup to the same WD drive.

Whenever the drive is being backed up during the WD auto backup process, presumably, other desktop processes tend to either freeze up or go real sloooow.  I’d like to retain the dual backup systems as the Windows backups creats a restorable image of the operating system, but not in an easily acessable form. I’m also trying to find a workaround for this problem.

However wouldn’t turning of the WD program at Win boot also mean the backups via WD would need to be manually done.

Or is it a problem of clashing between Win7 64bit and WD backups.

I agree with you underlog.  having the option to not turn on the drive would certainly inhibit the function of the backup software.  besides, I think that option would be more of a function of the os, rather than the backup software.  you already have the option in smartware to turn off the backup in the backup tab.  you also have the option to uninstall smartware, and use a manual backup software, like windows backup, if you want to have precise control on when the backup gets done.