WD My Book Duo data forever lost if Drive Enclosure Dies!

On this case it would be good to post this as a suggestion on our ideas board, you can look to see if this idea has already been posted you can vote it up.

Here is the link to the ideas board so you can do this:
http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drive-Ideas/idb-p/external_ideas

jtech wrote:

This is because the hardware encryption is ALWAYS used, even if you never attempt to use the WD Security app to enable “password” protection. This fact is NEVER made clear in ANY WD documentation anywhere!

Thanks for your post. I was shopping and wanted drive encryption, but not data loss. Your post is one reason why I did not go with the My Book Duo (even though I wanted encryption).

I instead bought the EX2 and was going to encrypt myself (software method).

But now I re-read your post. Is hardware encryption always used on the EX2 also???

The EX2 is advertized as having “Volume encryption.” But I’m a new user and can’t find the settings for it.

Hi,

I’m not familar with the EX2, WD should be able to answer for us though if users have access to the security encryption pass-KEY used to encrypt data on the EX2. Even if the encryption on the EX2 is not ‘always on’ like on the WD My Book Duo (USB), its still possible you will be locked out of your data if the enclosure has any problems if you don’t have the actual “encryption key” used to encrypt the data.

And for example, that popular WD “locker/unlocker” that let’s users lock drives with a password, well that password is not even used for the actual encryption on the WD MyBookDuo. We are not given the actual/real encryption key used.

Please upvote my fix request at:

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drive-Ideas/Prevent-Data-Loss-Data-is-LOST-forever-if-WD-drive-enclosure/idi-p/877552

2 Likes

You are not comparing like with like when you propose an Elements solution compared to Duo

1st - I don’t think there is an Elements product that supports RAID 1

2nd - WD makes great play of the reliability of the individual drives in the Duo, it does not make the same claims for Elements products.

3rd - They don’t have the same capacity

I also fail to understand how not being able to put the drives in another enclosure adds to the security offered to the end user, other than what I suggest are somewhat rare circumstances where the enclosure is secured by locking cable and the thief has the intent, knowledge and time to open the enclosure and extract the drives.

It seems to me reasonable to make the default that the drives can be used in any other WD enclosure (even if this has to be of the same type) and allow the end user to override this should they wish.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info. This is really sad and disappointing that WD is so reluctant to respond appropriately to this valid concern and is irresponsible to not notice the user about the negative consequences of the default and forced encryption. I have not opened mine. I will return it to Amazon right away. I was wondering if you, Jtech or ItwasNotMe, found an alternative 2-bay backup unit with Raid1 capability that does not have forced hardware encryption issue.

1 Like

Did WD find how to fix the issue ? I have a My Book Live Duo 8Tb (WDBVHT0080JCH-EESN) and read somewhere that I can use a “similar” controller to have access again to the the two HDs. Do anyone of you know how to access to the HDs again ?
Thanks

Testing should be straight forward at this time:

1. Buy two (2) of the product My Book Duo, henceforth referred to as MB-X & MB-Y
  2. Set the RAID type to MIRROR on MB-X
  3. Ensure that encryption is DISABLED for MB-X
  4. Copy data for testing to MB-X ensuring that original data is preserved in place for comparison; data can be practically any file type as long as it doesn’t change once copied.
  5. Repeat steps 2, 3 & 4 with MB-Y; an alternate data set can be used for comparison
  6. Swap both drives from MB-X with MB-Y
  7. Test the data against the sources

This is of great concern to me so I would appreciate any feedback on this methodology.

X_X

Dear all:
I have just bought a MY BOOK DUO 12 TB. Previously I have opened a case asking this issue. This is incredible but WD also told me that there is no encryption and that you can take a disk (RAID 1) and directly connect it to the computer.
I have tested (Raid 1, no encryption, copied files, turn off, extract a disk, connect to Windows 7 with an external device) and Windows do not map the unite, although the disk administrator is able to see the Disk. That means that there is no way to access your data. Incredible how Western Digital really cheats us. They told me that there were no problem to access the disk outside the unite… I have it written.
Well I can send back the unite, but I have loose my time.
What a firm!! They are not even able to properly inform buyers… This is really annoying.

Can I still confirm whether this is still an issue?

I’ve just ordered the My Book 6T from Amazon to arrive today and just seen this which really freaks me out. What is the point of setting something up in RAID1 format and then still risking losing everything if a single, mechanical item fails.

Just when I thought I’d found the perfect product for the job!!!

I’m experiencing a similar problem. My Book Essential 1TB started disconnecting spontaneously a few weeks ago, and I would have to unplug/replug the power connector to connect it again. I let the problem go while I worked on my taxes. Fortunately, I transferred critical personal files during those brief moments that it was connected, but left many other files, especially personal pictures, on the drive. A few days ago, I tried to get it to reconnect, but it appeared dead. I bought a My Book 3TB and tried its USB and power modules on the Essential, to no avail. I removed the Essential drive and put it in the new case with the new controller module. The light comes on and I can hear the drive hum, but nothing shows in Explorer. Device Manager and Disk Management DO show it, but without a drive letter, and with a status of “not initialized”. From what I’m reading hear, even if I had an EXACT same case and controller as Essential’s original, it would still not allow me access to the files. Is that correct? I don’t want to send off my drive to a data recovery company with sensitive information on it. I can recover most of my data with backups, but I know I’m going to lose some pictures, as my last backup was over a year ago. (It was suggested on another website to use a free data recovery software, but it couldn’t detect the drive.)

Ok, just so that I understand something.

First let me say that I have had two WD external drives fail so I am considering the Duo as a safer alternative to keep from losing data. I currently have a My Book Essential 3Tb drive that I can not access. My next step is to remove it from the case to see if I can access it. If I’m understanding correctly the data on this drive will be encrypted and will not be able to be accessed ‘outside’ of the enclosure even if the drive is good due to the drive being encrypted? It sounds like the drives in the Duo are the same way then, if one of the two drives fail or if the enclosure fails I will not be able to take the good drive/drives out of the enclosure to recover data? Thanks!

1 Like

I used Stellar Phoenix for Mac to recover ALL of the 1.2 million files on a Mybook 3GB for Mac. Yeah, it took nearly 3 days, but I got them all. When the drive is out of the MyBook case, it only formats to a maximum of 801 GB. I even tried using WD’s Quick Formatter under both Windows 7 and OS X, but the utility would not recognize the disk without the original WD USB/SATA board. HOW MUCH DOES THAT ■■■■? Never again…

2 Likes

Windows My Book Duo RAID1 is defective
This info is concerning a 16 TB Windows My Book Duo purchased from amazon on May 17th with the expectation of using the device in RAID1.
The backup strategy chosen was to purchase an additional hard disk of the exact same model as the stock drives, and rotate the two disks weekly.

What I found is the RAID1 functionality is not stable and should not be used
with any expectation of reducing data loss.

All Disk Drives referenced below are
WD80EFZX SATA 128MB Cache NASware 3.0
MODEL WD80EFZX-68UW8N0

Steps to reproduce

A. Stock Drives in RAID1 Fail if a drive is removed and rei-inserted
0. Use WD Drive Utilities Configuration to enable RAID1 configuration (wipes all data on both drives),

1. Eject the My Book Duo using Windows Explorer
  2. Power off the My Book Duo.
  3. Remove Drive two from My Book Duo.
  4. Power on My Book Duo.
  6. Eject the My Book Duo using Windows Explorer
  7. Power off the My Book Duo.
  8. Reinstall Drive 2 in My Book Duo.
  9. Power on My Book Duo.
    EXPECTED RESULTS
    1. WD Drive Utilities shows the drives are online in RAID1
      FOUND RESULTS
    2. Drive configuration is unrecognized. The only option is to wipe the disks and reconfigure
    3. Drive configuration is recognized but requires a rebuild with no access for about 8 hours.

B. Replacing one of two mirrored disks with the exact same model number
results in an unrecognized configuration. This simulates a single-drive-failure in
RAID1 which should almost never result in data loss.
A. Stock Drives in RAID1 Fail if a drive is removed and rei-inserted
0. Use WD Drive Utilities Configuration to enable RAID1 configuration (wipes all data on both drives),

1. Eject the My Book Duo using Windows Explorer
  2. Power off the My Book Duo.
  3. Replace Drive two from My Book Duo with exact same model MODEL WD80EFZX-68UW8N0.
  4. Power on My Book Duo.
    EXPECTED RESULTS
    1. WD Drive Utilities shows the new drive needs to be formatted and added to the existing RAID1
    2. Drive One is still valid and part of the RAID 1 config
      FOUND RESULTS
    3. Both drives on line.
    4. Drive configuration is unrecognized.
      The only option is to wipe the disks and reconfigure

Anyone familiar with RAID1 would never expect this behavior.
This unit does not support normal RAID1 recovery.
RAID1 should almost never result in data loss. In this case it always results in
catastrophic data loss.

Bottom Line:

1. Never trust your backup solution until you’ve tried it with test data

Next Steps…stiil contemplating these…

1. File a complaint to the Consumer Protection Agency so WD is forced to respond publicly
  2. Create a Public Service Alert video and try to get TV stations and youtube to promote it
    to draw attention to this defect before more people loose data
  3. Dissect the drive enclosure and attempt to recover and publish the AES key
  4. Try the drives directly on the motherboard or in an attached Drobo/Synology/etc enclosure
1 Like

I just bought a myBook Duo today and drive 1 failed. I found this topic and consider myself lucky. I will be returning this tomorrow. I wanted a safe device to store important files that should a single drive (or enclosure) fail I could replace it and not lose files.

That WD actually suggested that you should get a backup for your backup is absurd.

I’m sorry but how can this be your reply to such serious problem? Imma try to be as respectful to you sir, considering that you are here to provide a service and may not even understand what it means for EVERYONE THAT OWNS AN ENCRYPTED WD EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER THEIR PRECIOUS DATA! WE BUY THIS ENCRYPTED HARD DRIVES TO SAVE AND PROTECT WHAT IS TRULLY IMPORTANT TO US.

In my case I owned a 1Tb My book studio that I bought in 2010. It stopped working a couple of years ago and in my optimism that I would be able to recover my precious data when I found fit I let time pass by. Now that time arrived and to my surprise I found out how impossible is to recover my data without having to expend thousand of dollars to WD. I have even heard of people paying 5x the amount of the original price of this HDD just to recover their precious data. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
This week I’m suppose to get a response from one of WDs IT for a positive valid solution to the case I filed last week ( the IT initially responded asking for a couple of days to do some research–that’s how ef up this situation is)

On a note: I’m on the verge of losing 1TB of unreplaceable precious memories because of WD overpriced cheap encrypted hardware.

1 Like

@jowSnow You do not have a backup of your data?

I think that’s the point of owning an external hard drive but I really didn’t have time to back up my data

1 Like

Does problems like this also affect the “My Book Pro” series?

yes, thats my understanding as well… Once you encrypt your WD harddrive its fully encrypted and if the hard drive or its enclosure fail then your harddrive is stuck in a locked state forever… but I still dont entirely understand how a harddrive enclosure failing means the whole harddrive cant be used again? like why cant you just swap your working harddrive into a new enclosure?? on a sidenote i didnt even know enclosures on their own can fail…

The enclosure holds the little piece of computer code that runs the mirroring and small amount of software that you can access on the drive. (e.g. the web gui).
The linked piece tells you that the enclosure holds a master key which has encrypted the drives. The drives are permanently encrypted regardless of whether you have told the drives to be or not. All you are doing when you set a master password and “tell” the drives to be encrypted is you are encrypting the master key - thereby ensuring that no one can hack the drive enclosure and retrieve the key and then decrypt the drives. Therefore, the drives are always encrypted and if there is a failure with the enclosure then you need to find out a way to get that key and somehow use that master key to decrypt the drives.

I am so happy that I stumbled across this article while looking for something entirely different ! I shall be dumping my HD book duo immediately (after having carefully taken everything off and put it somewhere that I know I can get into regardless of enclosure hardware failure !!). Well done @jtech !