WD My Book Disconnects When VPN In Use

Hello all,

I have 2 questions.

1. I’m experiencing a very anoying problem. My WD drive is unreachable when I have a VPN client running, which I use to remote into my work system to work from home. It works great as long as the VPN is not active. Is this due to a port conflict or something? Can this be resolved?

2. I fogot the password to my WD My Book Live drive. Is there a way to reset it without losing all my data?

Thanks!

1.- That is part of your VPN, it is called “Split tunneling” and most work VPN have that setting due to security reasons. In a few words, when connected to the VPN, you do not have any local resources available to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_tunneling

2.- If you had SSH enable, maybe.  Google it.

Shabuboy is exactly right.  

However, I can still access my drive via corporate VPN.

Home net → VPN to corporate network → Home Net via WD2go.

I seldom do that because it’s a pain, but it is possible…

holding in the small button with a paperclip, etc, for 5 seconds will reset password and network settings, but not erase data.

TonyPh12345

True, could use the App for that but not for uploads. What I do however, since I enable SSH, I connect to it via SCP/SFTP to it when connected at VPN from home.

Of course, it takes a bit more changes to make it happen such as enabling SSH, add users able to SSH (do not recommend “root”), forward port on router and DDNS.

:stuck_out_tongue:

oh yeah! and changing root’s password from default one!!!

That’s why it’s far easier for me to just drop the VPN when I need to print or access something local, the bring it back up. :smileyvery-happy: