WD Media Hub With SC-55 Pioneer Reciver

So, just hooked up my new pioneer SC-55 with my WD MEdia Hub and I cannot get a picture went connecting through HDMI, I get no problems through component but I would really like to use HDMI. I have confirmed that the cable is working. Should I try hard setting the resolution? How can I manage that if I cannot see the picture. Any suggestions?

Is your TV hooked to the SC55 via Component or HDMI?

At first HDMI (then green scrambled looking screen) then I hooked it up via component, which is the way it sits now.

He’s tried both and component works (you missed it in the OP)

@Matt, do you get sound?  If not then it looks like a possible HDCP conflict based on the troubleshooting section of the receiver manual.  I’ve got an old VSX-43TX and I can reassign audio inputs to accommodate component variations.  Is it possible you have the HDMI input you’r using assigned elsewhere (unlikely, I know, since the component input works).

GCG

Also check to see if the digital passthru via HDMI is set on the HUB.  There was an entry in the receiver manual about analog audio through the HDMI that could be the issue.

GCG

I can re-assign so I will double check that this afternoon. Thanks for the tips

Pioneer Elite’s are flexible and option rich.  I love 'em.  But if they documented everything fully the manuals would read like “War and Peace” which can be a PITA.

No, I didn’t miss it…  I was reading that as that he’s tried COMPONENT on the HUB, but not on the TV.

I would check to see if the SC55 does Component to HDMI Up-conversion.

It sounds to me like it does not, which is why COMPONENT HUB → COMPONENT TV works, but COMPONENT HUB → HDMI TV does not.

The HDMI - HDMI “Green Screen” thing is another issue.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, I didn’t miss it…  I was reading that as that he’s tried COMPONENT on the HUB, but not on the TV.

You DID read his.  “I” didn’t read yours.  Bad GCG … no cookie.

GCG

HDMI to HDMI is the main issue for me. When I looked at the ipad app I could see the auto select for the resolution scanning through the differnt resolutions trying to find a home. Im seriously confused by this. Could it be the auto select resolution on the WDMedia hub chasing the reciver resolution or vice versa?

That’s out of my wheel-house…  I don’t know anything about how the Elites do their thing.

My Pioneers just do complete HDMI passthrough… so my Pioneer just passes the TV’s EDID data to the WD, and REPLACES the AUDIO section from the TV with its own.

… so it works seamlessly.    

I would have to guess the Elite CAN do that, but I have no idea how to advise on how to configure it… 

Try locking the res on the receiver to 1080p for that input an see if there’s a change. 

@Tony,  I’ve located the receiver manual and a section on the HDMI Control feature of the receiver.  I have to take a pass as the entire thing is beyond my experience with the old VSX-43 I have … no HDMI switching.  The section on the control function begins on page 53 if that helps.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-55_OperatingInstructions060711.pdf

GCG

Im running out of ideas, When I try to force my WDmedia hub to a 1080 p setting it doesnt seem to stick and just goes back to whatever setting it was before. Am I missing something with this?

Try setting both to 1080p (receiver User Manual page 58 I think) as a test.

Ok I tried that, no go. Im going to sign off on this as Pioneer Elite SC-55 is not compatible with HDMI out from WDmedia hub. Im not sure if this is intentional or not but neither WD or Pioneer are very forthcoming in the explanations of why it won’t work.

Im running out of ideas, When I try to force my WDmedia hub to a 1080 p setting it doesnt seem to stick and just goes back to whatever setting it was before. Am I missing something with this? > Firstly the WD seems to switch back its setting to 720p 50hz when it looses its hdmi connection, sometimes when i remove usb1 in the hub, ( rear one) i  remove the hdmi lead by mistake, and it does the same. if your 100% sure  that the lead is ok, its 1.4 version, and of reasonable quality. then i was guess the pioneer is switching the hdmi port off for some reason, and is why  the WD is switching back to its previous settings.> I wouldnt say its the WD at fault here, i have tested numerous amps… Denom, alpine, yamaha, onkyo, sony, pioneer etc. and all have worked without any problems. Most of the problems are usually a silly setting on the amp.  for example. if your putting the WD on channel one ( hdmi 1) and using it for both audio and video. then it should work fine. but sometimes if a coax, or optical lead is also assigned to hdmi 1, it can play up. > my advice would be start from scratch. remove everything from the amp. and reset to factory settings. do the same to the hub.  then plug in the hdmi lead from the hub to the amp, and monitor hdmi  from amp to TV. make sure on the amp that all upscale settings on hdmi 1 are off, and arc return set to off. and make sure hdmi control is off. the only thing you want on is the hdmi port. if there is no change. then try hdmi 2, 3 etc. if this still doesnt work, and you are still getting green / blue screen then i would say its the amp. only choice left would be connect the hub hdmi direct to tv via hdmi, and use optical to amp, so you still get surround sound etc.> also where did you buy the amp from ? there are some stores that sell audio / video equipment cheap. sometimes they sell what they call grey imports.  i have had a problem once where a PS3 wouldnt work, all i got was a distorted signal. like it was out of tune., as i was testing this amp, i returned it for another and it worked fine. seemd strange tho as everything else i plugged in worked.

Hopefully this may help;

I have the live hub connected to my SC-55 via HDMI with no issue.  Below may be why.

Before purchasing the live hub, I had an hdcp connection error issue with this receiver connecting to my Epson projector using HDMI output 1 so I switched the cable to HDMI output 2 and had no issues.  Everything I’ve connected since has had no HDMI issues.  Apparently HDMI out 2 doesn’t do any HDCP checking.