WD Live TV power consumption?

Hello all

Anyone know the power consumption of the unit? My xbox will stream media in much the same way, but uses a lot of power (126w)

thanks!

I got around 0.04A with an amperimetric clamp, that’s around 9-10W in my country (230Vac). I can’t say I’m 100% confident in the reading though, it looks pretty low even when you consider that there’s no moving parts and video processing is a lot less demanding than playing 3D games.

The max it can use is 14.4W  and if it gets to that the fuse inside the unit will blow , so 10 watts or so sounds about right.

One thing I don’t know if many people are aware but  Live never turns off really. When you turn it off via remote the only thing it does is turn off the video interface. You can still acess the shares on it over the network.

Well yes and no. When you turn it off it might still be feeding the network circuitry, but it consumed quite a bit less than when it was playing, around 0.02A (~5W).

I’ve been using a Maxtor Mini one touch 3 usb powered HD with my WD for the past 2 months.

Any opinions on getting a power supply for it ?

That is only if you are using a custom firmware. On original firmware, the unit turns of the network when it is in stand by.

ptricks wrote:

The max it can use is 14.4W  and if it gets to that the fuse inside the unit will blow , so 10 watts or so sounds about right.

One thing I don’t know if many people are aware but  Live never turns off really. When you turn it off via remote the only thing it does is turn off the video interface. You can still acess the shares on it over the network.

That is only if you are using a custom firmware. On original firmware, the unit turns of the network when it is in stand by.

In Standby

Power on (do nothing)

Watching mkv (fullHD 1080p)

without using any USB devices.

:smiley:

For me, turning the WD TV Live off via the remote turns off both the network and connected USB devices.