WD Live TV Hub and Subtitles in UTF-8

I watch Movies with English audio and Japanese Subtitles. WD Live TV Hub can not read SRT files so I have to convert them to .sub and .idx files. If the original srt file is in shift-jis then there is no problem.

Howver if it is in UTF-8, even after converting to .sub and .idx files WD Live TC Hub can not read them and the files are not recognized when pressing tghe “subttles” buttton on the remote.

As WD Live TV Hub can not read any subtitles from a media server, I run my movies off a network share.

Can anyone confirm that WD Live TV Hub is not capable of reading UTF-8 encoding?

AFAIK the hub is based on the Live which does play SRT and UTF-8 (at least German Umlauts, dunno about Japanese chars). If the Vobsubs (idx/sub) aren’t recognized you must have done something wrong during conversion or have not named them properly.

Thank you for your reponse. Naturally I went over everything I did to ensure no errors on my part.

For Japanese srts I use Subtitle Creator or TXTtoVOBsub which can only read shift-jis files

and make vob files which work fine on WD Live TV Hub.

For Japanese srts that are in UTF-8 I must use SubtitleEdit as it can work with UTF-8 and create

VOB files. The resulting UTF-8 .sub/.idx work fine in VLC player. But do not get recognized at all

on tjhe WD Live TV Hub. Therefore it is clearly not a naming issue. 

KenHash wrote:

Thank you for your reponse. Naturally I went over everything I did to ensure no errors on my part.

For Japanese srts I use Subtitle Creator or TXTtoVOBsub which can only read shift-jis files

and make vob files which work fine on WD Live TV Hub.

For Japanese srts that are in UTF-8 I must use SubtitleEdit as it can work with UTF-8 and create

VOB files. The resulting UTF-8 .sub/.idx work fine in VLC player. But do not get recognized at all

on tjhe WD Live TV Hub. Therefore it is clearly not a naming issue. 

I’m not an expert in subtitles by any means.

But AFAIK, there’s no such thing as “UTF-8 .sub/.idx”.    SUB/IDX (VobSub) is a collection of graphic images and cues, not text.

The fact that VLC can play them is interesting, but largely irrelevent.  VLC is INTENDED to be able to play incorrectly encoded files. 

Thank you. I will continue to work (play) with this some more using other srt files to test.