WD Live + PlayOn not working. Whats wrong here?

I just purchased a WD Live and it came today. I can stream files via my network just fine. But when I try to connect to my PlayOn server, I am immediately kicked off with a network connection error.

This same server works just fine with my Xbox360.

Does anyone know of a solution?

I have tversity and playon and they work fine but i downgrade the firmware to .10 because of other issus with .17 :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it seems as if with 1.01.17 they took out the USB upgrade support. I am running firmware .17, and the instructions I find online to update firmware go as follows:

1. Open the firmware update .ZIP file and extract the two files (.BIN and .VER) to a 
    USB drive’s main directory
  2. Turn the WD TV on and connect your USB drive
  3. Use the remote control to select SETTINGS from the home screen
  4. Highlight the firmware upgrade icon, and press ENTER on the remote
  5. You will be prompted to perform the firmware upgrade. Select OK and press ENTER. 
    This will restart the system
  6. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode
  7. Once the update process is completed, the HD media player will restart again

I do not have a firmware upgrade icon.

I downloaded a downgraded version of the firmware to install, but am unable to do so.

So, whats next?

I bought this device to use with PlayOn so I can watch netflix and Hulu on my TV. I am VERY disappointed its not working out of the box.  

Not sure what your problem is but I know it not the firmware as I have  1.01.17 and PlayOn is working fine.  I suggest you do not downgrade your firmware as the current version has been fixed to not brick your WDTV Live when doing future updates.

Seems to me you have a network issue or may be a firewall blocking access.

I am having the same problem and it did not start until 1.1.17.  I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64.  The problem only happens on the WDTV Live, works fine with PS3 and XBox360.  Windows firewall is turned off.  Again, this only started after fw 1.1.17.

Mine started working after I play around with network setting on my laptop. Changed it from a work to a home network type. After that everything started acting normal.

lugoismad wrote:

Unfortunately it seems as if with 1.01.17 they took out the USB upgrade support. I am running firmware .17, and the instructions I find online to update firmware go as follows:

1. Open the firmware update .ZIP file and extract the two files (.BIN and .VER) to a 
    USB drive’s main directory
  2. Turn the WD TV on and connect your USB drive
  3. Use the remote control to select SETTINGS from the home screen
  4. Highlight the firmware upgrade icon, and press ENTER on the remote
  5. You will be prompted to perform the firmware upgrade. Select OK and press ENTER. 
    This will restart the system
  6. After restarting, the system automatically enters firmware upgrade mode
  7. Once the update process is completed, the HD media player will restart again

I do not have a firmware upgrade icon.

I downloaded a downgraded version of the firmware to install, but am unable to do so.

So, whats next?

I bought this device to use with PlayOn so I can watch netflix and Hulu on my TV. I am VERY disappointed its not working out of the box.  

You are already using the most up to date Firmware if you have .17. To downgrade you have to get the appropriate firmware and then play around with the naming of the files to fool the WDTV into upgrading. Obviously this is not to be recommended as it could damage your unit .

I got mine working!  My problem was that I had three active network interfaces active.  I diabled wireless and one of the ethernet interfaces leaving only 1 network interface active and everything started working fine.

Can you tell us what firmware version you are on that is working?  How about what OS?  Like others, I’m anxious to get this working.  I see the media server, select it and see the list of channels, then get kicked out with a network error.

I use it successfully on both the new Live+, the Pre-Production code on the Live, and the “official” codes since 1.01.17.