WD Live Hub stopped recognizing 2 USB attached 5tb external drives after I attached the drives directly to a new windows 10 upgraded computer

WD Live Hub stopped recognizing 2 USB attached 5tb external drives after I attached the drives directly to a new windows 10 upgraded computer and then reattached the drives to the WD Live Hub. I attached the USB external drives to the windows 10 pc to copy additional movies quickly to the drives rather than copy across a slow network. I ran check disk on the drives while attached to the windows 10 pc. I have found other users that have experienced the same issue but have not seen any viable solutions yet. Some have suggested that attaching the drives to a windows 7 pc and running Check Disk is one solution but I no longer have a windows 7 install. Is there any other solution to this issue?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of another possible workaround. The last update to the WD TV Live Hub was long before Windows 10 was released, and as such the updated file system and protocols may not be fully compatible.

Read this … as a possible fix

Thanks Trancer for your quick response. I did dig up an old laptop circa 2005 with windows XP and ran check disk on the drives. This did solve the problem and the Live Hub could access both drives and my Windows 10 network was able to access them as well, but it’s unfortunate that this issue even exists.

Any user with the Live Hub is going to find themselves in a bind if they don’t have access to Windows 7 or earlier version pc. I hope that WD will find a way to update the file system on the Live Hub and repair this compatibility mismatch. Thanks for the input. This post will be useful for any members who inadvertently run into the same problem.

unlikely … since the WDTV Live Hub is a Legacy (Discontinued) device
(since 2011, not long after the WDTV Live Streaming was released)

Thanks Joey for the information. This was the exact issue; the root folder is visible and the subfolders disappear from the Live Hub and from my network that could previously access the drives. When I originally attached the drives to my W10 pc Windows asked to run CheckDisk and I did. I’m wondering, and assuming, that if I didn’t run CheckDisk then the drives would have not been affected. For a while I was concerned that by simply attaching the external drives to my windows 10 pc may have caused the problem.

Thanks for the hyperlink, having the ability to run a different version of CheckDisk from within Windows 10 really solves this problem. I downloaded the version you posted and will keep it handy.

Thanks again for your input.