WD Live can't play surround sound

I’ve now become convinced that, at least using either the TS or MKV containers, WD Live can’t do surround sound.

I’m using the optical out (because according to the manual that’s the only way it can do it) and it’s definitely optical on my receiver (because if I unplug the optical cable the sound stops and my receiver shows no input) but no matter what the audio container – DTS, AC3, DTS-HD, True-HD – it only reports 2 channels (left and right). 

On examining the streams there are definitely 5.1 channels, and they play properly on my computer, but WD Live ain’t outputting them.  So – the big question is, is there some container that can play 1080p along with 5.1 audio?  Or should I start shopping around for another media server?

Surround sound should work fine in an MKV container, certainly for AC3 as I have a number of MKV files like that and my receiver sees all channels.  Surround does not work in MP4 or M4V containers, nor if the channel has been AAC encoded.

Something worth checking is whether your receiver is set to Dolby Digital / Surround.  On my amp you have to specifically enable surround for the channel you’re using, otherwise you get 2ch stereo.  :slight_smile:

Also, in the WD TV Live’s audio settings, did you switch from Stereo to Digital?

Also, in the WD TV Live’s audio settings, did you switch from Stereo to Digital?

Bingo.  And now I feel like an ■■■■■ (I *thought* I had read every page of the manual – twice).

It was a little complicated by the fact I have two of these units and, in checking, the one in the bedroom is indeed set to digital.  This second unit I used for the first time on my big screen projection (9’) and could not for the life of me get to work in surround sound.

But – mucho gracias, my friend.  Trust me, you’ve solved a HUGE issue for me (I was scrambling trying to think how I was going to deal with the hundreds of DVDs I’ve already converted and put away for good).

No problem, glad it was an easy fix.  ;)

1. Why don’t I DTS CD  files play?
       / Wav files with DTS sound, all DVD players play they good! /
        Why can’t I select sound?
        DTS sound from DVD files works it!

2. When I try play DVD from Video_ts map, the next and prev functions don’t work, why?

3. Why can’t I play Mp3 from complet directory with subdirecries?

eagles\cd1

eagles\cd2

István Kovács

I have:
WD TV HD Media Player, serial number WNT185213847, model/order number WDAVP00BE.
Firmware : WDTV_1_03_01

Ikovacs wrote:

1. Why don’t I DTS CD  files play?
       / Wav files with DTS sound, all DVD players play they good! /
        Why can’t I select sound?
        DTS sound from DVD files works it!
  1. When I try play DVD from Video_ts map, the next and prev functions don’t work, why?
  1. Why can’t I play Mp3 from complet directory with subdirecries?

eagles\cd1

eagles\cd2

István Kovács

I have:
WD TV HD Media Player, serial number WNT185213847, model/order number WDAVP00BE.
Firmware : WDTV_1_03_01

This board is only for WDTV Live users.

I believe you should post here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/bd-p/tv_hd

sounds good to me