WD Live - can I view folders from USB via WiFi (NAS)

Hi

I’m new to the WD Live and can plug in my 1.5TB USB directly to the WD Live, from where I can see (& filter) via Folder.  However when I connect up the same storage device to my Wi-Fi router (Belkin N600), I can see all the media but I can’t find an option to view/filter by folder.  As such, I end up seing the contents of all my folders together, which doesn’t help when I’ve lots of files called VTS_01_1.VOB.

Can WD Live display folders when the storage device is not directly plugged in to the unit itself?

Thanks for you help.

Sure. Add your shares to the media library. Then set the content source to My Media Library.

This is probably a silly question, but how do I add my shared files (currently pluged into my router) to the media library, noting that I don’t have local storage? I am connecting using the “Media Server” source.

Strangely if I am view Photos, the directory structure is evident and all works as I’d expect.  So it seems to only be when I choose Video that I can’t see the directory structure.

Jacko69 wrote:

I am connecting using the “Media Server” source.

Ah.  Media Servers cannot be added to the media library.  Only local storage and network shares.

In the case of Media Servers, the server itself (your router, in this case) is responsible for how the content is organized, sorted, and presented to the client (the WD.)

So it’s the Belken N600 that is the issue, rather than the WB Live - bugger.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to share across 2 DNLA compliant preserving the folder structure?

I spoke with a couple of tech guys at a local retailer and they tell me that don’t know of anyone that has managed to get folders to display when connected to a router (any router).   

Noting that my USB storage is just a plain NTFS formatted 1.5TB hard disk, plugged into a new Belkin N600.

Is there a hack that can be done?

UPDATE:

OK, I was able to connect to the USB attached to my router AND SEE THE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE but only if I did the following:

Choose NETWORK SHARE => WINDOWS SHARE => ROUTER

Then I needed to accept the default login (anonymous/********) rather than using the actual login/password to connect to my router.

Now I can see everything & add folders to my “My Media Library”.

So the bottom line is that if you use the MEDIA SERVER source, (under Video) you can’t see folders. However if you use Photo or Music with MEDIA SERVER as the source this works.

Jacko69 wrote:

I spoke with a couple of tech guys at a local retailer and they tell me that don’t know of anyone that has managed to get folders to display when connected to a router (any router).   

I don’t think that’s true at all.

It is entirely dependent on the DLNA software of the device.  If I recall, the WD routers that support DLNA DO have a Folder view.