WD live book worse product with very poor support

Hi

Thinking I was buying a good known product my WD live book is rubbish and NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

How can WD claim this drive to be fit and secure, I would never trust my data on it.

I am using Windows 7 and have the user name / password issue on private shares that are not the same as my windows login password, tried all solutions on the net with fail.

Got a new replacement unit today with the same issue, support from WD is a joke, 6 days to respond by email only to be told this is not a bug try a factory reset and wipe all your data…They know fine well this is an issue.

Have all their techie guys worked at McDonald’s before? I think so.

I will be taking the drive back tomorrow for a full refund and now have to research a replacement unit.

Thanks for a **bleep**to product WD.Away to go.

Max

I will make sure I tell as many people about this useless product and company as I can.

I hope you feel better after your rant… you didn’t actually explain what the problem was with your MBL…

I do actually.

I took it back again to PC World asking for a full refund but they gave me another replacement to try and would not refund…I will not be stuck with this useless drive and will somehow get my money back.

I feel I should explain my issue so you fully understand 

I took the new unit and plugged it into my network, I removed and reinstalled all the software application from WD.com setup, the unit came with firmware version 02.42.02-012, I decided not to upgrade this and test it as it was out the box.

I setup a login password on the box at start-up, I then created me as a user with a private share, the first time I clicked on my private folder it asked me for a username and password, I entered it and I was in my folder, I restarted the WD drive and restarted my PC, once again I clicked on my private share and it did not ask me for a login but let me straight through into my folder…This is a security issue as a number of family members use this PC.

I created a user named user1 with a private share and password, I clicked on this share and all I get is the logon password screen and it will not let me though even with the correct user name and password, I set the share as no password but still it asks me for a password login…why is this the case? 

I then upgraded the firmware to the latest one, I get the same issue with the user1 private share.

I then created another user User2 with a private share, now this time when I click on the User2 folder share I get …windows cannot access \drivename\user2.

If this is a credentials issue with windows then I was not told this at the time of purchase which would make it incompatible with Windows.

My requirement was to have other family members use their own private folders to store their data.

I am sure you can imagine my disappointment in the product and now wish I had purchased a better bug free product.

Since experiencing this issue I have found many other users who are not  at all happy with the product, apart from this credentials issue there are concerns of data loss and the drive locking users out.

Max

Wow.  I’m glad you posted this, because, in fact, all of these “issues” are not issues of the MBL at all – that’s the way WINDOWS handles Network storage – it’s not the fault of the MBL.   

I guess this is the first NAS you’ve used, because you would have had the same results regardless of brand.

tona955 wrote:

…I then created me as a user with a private share, the first time I clicked on my private folder it asked me for a username and password, I entered it and I was in my folder, I restarted the WD drive and restarted my PC, once again I clicked on my private share and it did not ask me for a login but let me straight through into my folder…This is a security issue as a number of family members use this PC.

It did this because you told Windows to remember your login information.  If you don’t want windows to log you in automatically, then UNCHECK the box shown below when you map or connect to the share.

cap1.png

or…

cap2.png

… if you’re not doing a MAPPING, then you need to remember to LOG OFF your account on your PC when you’re done, because Windows will ALWAYS cache login credentials for the duration of a login.

tona955 wrote:

I created a user named user1 with a private share and password, I clicked on this share and all I get is the logon password screen and it will not let me though even with the correct user name and password, I set the share as no password but still it asks me for a password login…why is this the case? 

… because Windows will not allow you to connect to two different accounts on the same NAS.   Windows is the ONLY OS that has this limitation.   You will need to add all the shares you want to the same user and use only one user at a time.  You must forcibly disconnect the shares of “User 1” before you can connect to “User 2” shares.

tona955 wrote:

I then upgraded the firmware to the latest one, I get the same issue with the user1 private share.

That’s correct, because it’s not an issue with the firmware.   It’s a limitation of Windows.

tona955 wrote:

If this is a credentials issue with windows then I was not told this at the time of purchase which would make it incompatible with Windows.

It’s not incompatible with Windows … it’s just incompatible with your expectations of what you want to do.  Change your workflow, and it’ll work fine.  But again, if you’re not able to do that, then Network Storage is not for you – every NAS will have the same limitations, regardless of brand.

tona955 wrote:

My requirement was to have other family members use their own private folders to store their data.

You still can.   You just need to have each user have their own WINDOWS account.   As far as I know, the limitations described above are per WINDOWS USER, not “Per Computer.”  So as long as each user on the PC has their own account, they can have their own shares.

And as long as each User on Windows (with a password) matches the username and password you set up on the MBL, they should seldom (if ever) even be prompted for a user / password when accessing their share.

tona955 wrote:

there are concerns of data loss and the drive locking users out. 

Max

If you look hard enough, you’ll probably find folks that insist the MBL is also responsible for the economic crisis.  

I’ve not seen any (credible) reports of dataloss as an epedemic…  ALL hard drives are subject to failure.  If data is important to you, then you need to back it up.   _ *ALL HARD DRIVES WILL FAIL* _ at some point.  The responsiblity of data protection _ ALWAYS _ lies with the owner.

2 Likes

you are totally right 

livebook is a [Deleted]