WD HD Live Questions

So I have had my player for a while, and I have a few issues that I cannot figure out so far.

First of all, the player never seems to shut off.  I hold the power button for more than 5 seconds(i count them out to be sure), everything shuts down, nothing on screen, little white light is off, but the unit stays warm, even 8 hours later and i can feel it spinning inside.  How do you get it to actually shut down?

Also, I am converting my Simpsons seasons onto an external hard drive to play on the player.  They play great so no problems there.  However, I am saving them as individual folders like this:  Simpsons Season 1 Disc 1, Simpsons Season 1 Disc 2, ect.  While my other movies have the information downloaded and the interface is great, it doesn’t work for TV shows too well.  How do you set it up on the hard drive so that the information would be found and downloaded like it does for my movies?  I need to be able to tell the difference between the discs so I am not searching for them.  Hope that is clear, but let me know if you have questions to help on this one!

Lastly, rather than moving my HD back and forth between my computer and the player, I would like to set the HD up connected to my wireless N router, and have it shared between the two.  When I have done this however, I get a very laggy playback, even when the player is hardline connected to the router.  What is the way to accomplish this?  Thank you so much.

Jaxtal wrote:

even 8 hours later and i can feel it spinning inside.

There are no moving parts in the WD TV Media Player – nothing is spinning even when it’s on.  Not sure what you are sensing there…

Jaxtal wrote:  How do you set it up on the hard drive so that the information would be found and downloaded like it does for my movies?  I need to be able to tell the difference between the discs so I am not searching for them.  Hope that is clear, but let me know if you have questions to help on this one!

Disk information cannot be collected; all information is done on an Episode-by-Episode basis, though you can use third-party tools to create your own XML files for disks.

For episode-specific information, naming of files is crucial.

Example:

The Simpsons.S01E01.xxx 

would collect information for Season 1, Episode 1.

Jaxtal wrote:

Lastly, rather than moving my HD back and forth between my computer and the player, I would like to set the HD up connected to my wireless N router, and have it shared between the two.  When I have done this however, I get a very laggy playback, even when the player is hardline connected to the router.  What is the way to accomplish this? 

Since it’s “laggy” even when hard-wired, it sounds like your router isn’t fast enough to handle media streaming.  Does it work well if you’re streaming from your computer as opposed to your router?

Well, I can feel it running I should say, perhaps not spinning.  If you place your hand on it, you can feel it.  How do you actually turn it off?  Do you have to unplug it every time?

Thank you on the reply for the TV info, I was hoping to keep them as discs, so there wouldn’t be so many files for each episode.  That will be a lot of Simpsons, House, ect.

I find it hard to believe that my router is the issue, as I have no lag from it, and it is wireless-N, and brand new.  I can also play Hulu, Netflix, ect. on the Live player with no problem through the wireless.  Why would it only affect the movies?

Jaxtal wrote:

Well, I can feel it running I should say, perhaps not spinning.

There’s NO moving parts in the WDTV, thus no vibration should be felt at all.   What model number is your device?   Do you, by chance, have a Live Hub (which has its own forum)?

Jaxtal wrote:

I can also play Hulu, Netflix, ect. on the Live player with no problem through the wireless.  Why would it only affect the movies?

To answer your question, those services stream at lower bit rates than local movies do – and they self-adjust to whatever they can get.

But that’s not what I said – I was suspecting that your router’s CPU isn’t up to streaming local media.  Only way to test is to try streaming your files from another computer instead of your router.