WD External HD not spinning and receiving fatal error message

My Book 4 TB
WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN suddenly stopped working yesterday after a power outage. When I plug the USB into the PC it gets acknowledged and at first glance it appears that I have access to all my mp3 files, however, when I try to play any of them it doesn’t work.
I tried copying all my mp3 files to another WD external hard drive, but I constantly get this error message: “Error 0x800701E3:” the request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.

I did a quick test on WD Drive Utilities, however, the test stalled at 90%, and ultimately I had to press cancel when nothing more happened.

I noticed that the hard drive stopped making any spinning noise, not sure what that indicates.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more very grateful!

Thank you

ERROR CODE 0X800701E3 – HARDCORE GAMES™

find a replacement disk ASAP

1 Like

Is there a way to salvage the data with a defective spin motor? I’m not sure whether it’s even possible to replace the spin motor. I am pretty certain the data itself is still intact, just not sure how to move it to a new disk with this error message constantly popping up.

If the spindle is damaged the disk may be unrecoverable.

Like I said recovery will be tedious

When “the request failed due to fatal device hardware error” occurs, your device turns inaccessible. This error usually occurs while attempting to transfer/copy files and suddenly the Windows OS fails to recognize the input or the output devices. In addition, this error could also be due to a fault in the systems hardware, inappropriate configuration, loose connections, etc.

To fix the error you can try the below DIY methods:

1. Check the SMART status
  2. Run an error check
  3. Run CHKDSK scan
  4. Initialize the disk

Hope it helps!