WD EX4 Running S-L-O-O-O-W

Hey Ladies & Gents!

So I have had some issues with my EX4 and I have been consulting with WD Directly.  Finally got the Dashboard working, magically… long story and I don’t think that ties in to the slow transfer speeds.

Here is my setup.

WD EX4 - EMPTY

Loaded Bay 1 & 2 with WD Red 2TB Drives (Brand New Out the Box!)

Netgear GS105NA

3 CAT6 Ethernet Cords

I have a Cat6 Ethernet cord running from my Netgear Router/Modem downstairs to my office.  One floor straight up.

I have the Cat6 plugged in to my new Netgear 105.  Then I ran two 12" CAT6 cords from the NG105 to the WD EX4 Port 1 and 2.  Then I plugged a 3’ CAT6 Ethernet from my router in to the computer.

Since the NAS, switch and machine are all within spitting distance and using quality parts I figured that this thing would FLY!!! OH MAN was I wrong.  

about 2 years ago I had an Iomega Home Media NAS (1TB) plugged in with CAT5e and about 2 floors away on the factory ATT 2-wire modem and that was lightening fast.  Why does my nicer and highly sophisticated equipment move so darn slow?  Is there something I can do to optimize?

Thank You for your help!  Any replies and opinions are welcome even if it’s to tell me I’m dumb and overlooked something obvious.  

Cheers!

Tupp

This is a common complaints w/ this unit; it has not been resolved all of the Marvel SoC units seem slow w/ the WD MyCloudEX4 being near the bottom of the heap.  If your in the return period I would seriously consider returning it spending a little bit more and opting for a Synology unit.

Synology has several smaller units as i’m guessing your only using raid 0 or 1?  with the two drives? 

Can you share the write speeds you’re getting on this unit?  Is the share public or private?  I really want to like this setup, but the performance is killing me.

On a private share I average about 12 megabytes/sec transfer

On a public one that number goes up to around 28/30 megs

If I carve out an iscsi target then I’m getting much better performance of about 125megabytes/sec.

Unfortunately I am outside the return window.  I have had the device for about 3 months or better.

10.8 - 11.1 MBPS when transfering a 1 GB file from my desktop to the Public folder.

Ill look in to carving out ISCSI Target.  Im not too knowledgable with NAS devices.  I have always been a computer nut.  building machines, networks, fixing computers and other junk.  I am good at what I know, I am not so good at everything. I have been working with and building computers since I got my first x86 machine in 1987… Booting off of 5 3/4 floppy for DOS.

YEA BOY!!

I have had the same issues

Try turning off the following:

1/ If DNLA is not required, turn off media in the settings (settings > media) . The DNLA server has a habit of eating 100 % processing power as it tries to cahce thumbnails for some files. Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon

2/ If you are not using apple kill the itunes (under media) and timemachine (settings>general)

Ensure that everything you are connected to is gigabit, and no 10/100 switches in between (I had an old router and it was killing the speeds)

Hope that helps

I have the DNLA turned on so that I can access this from my SmartTVs or Playstation.  Truth be told, I usually just put all my vidoes in to MP4 then load them on my ipad to watch them on TV.

Ill shut off the DNLA.

As for the 2/ If you are not using apple kill the itunes (under media) and timemachine (settings>general)   -  If I am using iTunes for all my devices and i shut that off will it have a negitave impact on my iTunes, iDevices and such?

My connection between the tower and NAS is like this…

Cat5E wire from Modem/Router downstairs runs in to my Netgear GS105NA Gigabit Switch.  Then I have the NAS Eithernet Port 1 plugged in to the GS105NA switch with a 12" CAT6, NAS Eithernet Port 2 plugged in to the GS105NA switch with a 12" CAT6, My desktop machine is plugged in to the GS105NA port 3 with a 36" CAT6.  So the machine and NAS should have a pristine connection since they are the only things on the gigabit switch and they are no further than 48" of cable

What are your settings for the 28/30 MBPS??

I only copy to Public.

Mine is also slow. I get 11mb/s over the nerwork (Gigabyte network, 100mb/s)… The most frustrating is that I get 3-4mb/s from my 3.0 USB dock with a 3.0 USB cable to the EX4… Is this a “normal” transfer speed? I think, it’s not.

UPDATE:

I forgot to mention that I had my EX4 hooked up to a 100mb/s switch. I’ve bought another 1 Gbps switch so the overall performance has improved: from painfull 3-9 mbs to 16-24 mbs, which isn’t too great either for my standards because my internet connection is still A+ rated (I’m moving to 250mb/s next month).

Anyway, the 3.0 USB connection is very slow, getting up to 3mb/s. That is hard to understand. As I have explained above, my driver is attached to a 3.0 USB dock and cable, works well connected to my PC but I cannot say the same about the EX4.