WD Elements Portable screech noise

Hi, long story short my WD Elements Portable make this screeching noise occasionally and I am unsure what the cause and more importanly the meaning is. More detailed story below.

I have 1 TB and 2 TB variants (I’m gonna simply refer to them like that). I had the 1 TB initially until one day it froze while writing some data from my PC, resulting in it repeatedly doing this screeching noise any time I booted the PC with it connected, and I had trouble accessing it.

I plugged it into my laptop and there was no screeching and it was perfectly accessible (except for one folder to which I was copying to when it froze), so I backed it up. Windows 11 offered to repair it (Windows 10 on my PC did not attempt that despite the obvious issues) and following that I could access the data from that one folder as well. And that seems to have resolved it - I’ve connected the 1 TB back into my PC afterwards and it runs flawlessly ever since.

Since that happened I have also purchased a 2 TB variant. Yesterday I heard the screech from the 2 TB for the first time. I was downloading some family videos and the free space on 1 TB was not enough, so I switched to the 2 TB for this one case. When transfering the files over it did the screech once at about 20 % of the transfer (the overall transfer was successful) and then once when it was inactive and I was just about to eject it.

I perform backups (from 1 TB to 2 TB) via laptop and have never ever heard the screech when they are connected to it. Could it be something with my PC then?

Hi @TGD ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting: