WD Elements Overheating

I just purchased a brand new WD Elements 10TB (WDC WD101EDAZ-11Y7KA0 10000.8 GB) and it is running at 54c. I have 9 other drives (internal) that range from 31c to 41c. From my years of experience 54c is danger zone as far as hard drive temps go.

Is this standard for this model?

It also makes a slight thump sound about every 5 seconds. You can feel the thump also.
Some people may not even notice but to me it is annoying.

Is this standard for this model also?

Thanks in advance.

Overheating of any storage drive is more severe than we think. Every storage drive has a minimum and maximum operating temperature. Any change in the internal or external temperature significantly affects the drive performance and life.

Anything below or above the ideal temperature can have a bad impact on the drive and can lead to the following issues:

• Data loss
  • File corruption
  • Drive corruption
  • Increase in bad sectors
  • System crash
  • Frequent system freeze
  • Unexpected system shutdown
  • Constant screeching, clicking or whirring sound
  • Drive failure

To know more about the issue & how you can fix this, I suggest you to check out the below blog: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-hard-drive-overheating-and-recover-data-in-windows-and-mac/

Hope it will help.

Thanks for the info but I think this may be a bad unit. It is an external desktop model, brand new. About an hour into power up it is 54-55c.
Spec sheet shows normal at Operating temperature: 5°C to 35°C