I have a 1TB WD Elements External HDD.
I’ve been using it for over a year now, and since a month or so I’ve been getting a lot of errors.
Firstly, the copy speeds went down to 150KBps… I used to get at least 16.7MBps.
Secondly, the device was no longer being detected by computer.
I’ve tested the external hard drive on my home *Laptop and desktop PC.
Experienced the same problems, as listed below:
(1) WD’s Data Lifeguard Diagnostics: “Too many bad sectors detected” message, as seen in attachment
(2) Devices & Printers - “Elements 25A2” is detected
(3) My Computer - Sometimes it shows K: drive, sometimes not at all
(4) Partition Wizard - “Bad drive” message
(5) Disk Management -
- If you plug in the external hard drive, and then start Disk Management… only “Connecting to Virtual Service” message.
*If you start Disk Management, and then plug in the external hard drive, “Disk 1 Unknown 931.48 GB Not Initialized; 931.48 GB Unallocated”
(6) Other programmes: Sometimes programmes will hang with the external hard drive plugged in
*My laptop is i7 7th Gen - 12GB Ram (So, i don’t think it’s the laptop or computer’s issue).
Solutions tried :
(1) Using a different cable
(2) Using a different system (Another Laptop)
Could someone please help with this problem? I have a lot of important data stored inside.