WD Elements Desktop External - Discontinued or Shortage?

Does anyone know what is happening with the WD Elements Desktop External product line? Has it been discontinued or is there a shortage? They are no longer available on the large online retailers (Amazon, Newegg, etc…). Many online retail sites list the Element as “Deactivated” or “No longer available”. I checked the official WD online store and all 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB are listed as out of stock. There are a few still being sold by Amazon resellers, but the prices are double or triple what they should be.

The WD Elements Desktop External is still listed on the WD product lineup on the website.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/desktop/

If the drive is still listed on their Web it has not been discontinued

The drive must be discontinued.  I had a dead 2TB Elements drive with a Caviar Black (made in Malaysia) on the inside, and they downgraded me to a Green MyBook Essential for my RMA because thats all they could get (as of 2 days ago).

Take your chances with other companies, the MyBook is literally the worst enclosure that you can buy.  It contains Smartware that must be on the drive in order for it to work, and it installs software on every computer that it connects to.

budcluck wrote:

Take your chances with other companies, the MyBook is literally the worst enclosure that you can buy.  It contains Smartware that must be on the drive in order for it to work, and it installs software on every computer that it connects to.

not correct at all…

I have a couple of MB drives and never used Smartware

Your argument is invalid

I have 2 WD Elements 1Tb discs which are used for back up. I have been using Macrium and then read about Smartware which seemed ideal (given its a WD product!) So I downloaded it but I cannot get it to recognise the hard discs. What have I done wrong or is it just these discs are incompatible with the software?

Rod