WD Elements 2TB working (powered but pc off)

Hi !

Q: Is my device going to die and how long does it take up to that point?

I filled the last 2 weeks a new WB Elements 2TB with Olympia TV Recordings and so on…

I powered my PC on and the device (WD E 2TB) started working and the PC is still in boot screen!
It sound’s like defragmentation and it doesn’t sound good. What’s going on?

Btw. CrystalDiskInfo says … No problems, No SMART entries…

Yours,
Michael

It sounds like your computer is trying to boot from your WD drive? Try disconnecting it and reboot your computer. If your computer boots after that, you may have to change the boot order of your drives in the BIOS, placing the internal hard/solid state drive before your WD drive (USB device) on the list.

Sorry but it cant boot from usb and i think
it’s just a cr*p or buggy external USB device.
I return it to amazon, after i got a replacement
and after making a copy of all my data to the new device.

New external device arrived, maybe all data copied…
New device makes no noise… two weeks older one is going return.

Thread (maybe) closed

Check if your Elements enclosure has an SMR drive inside.
If so, then it’s probably normal behavior (WD is reluctant in providing information on this topic). The cache flushing and zoned block rewriting an SMR disk needs, can only be done when the drive is idle and can go on for 40 minutes especially when you filled up the disk to the brink as DVRs tend to do with their disks, then a large cache of postponed block rewriting (probably loads of 256MB shingled blocks, but again no information from WD on this topic) becomes imminent and performance is down the drain and your drive will be very active whilst idle from the PC side. What happens when you unplug the power in this state is a mystery (again no information from WD on this topic).
Read up on this and this topic.

Your new drive will do the same in the same circumstances.