WD Elements 2TB not working properly anymore on Macbook

Hi!

I hope someone could help me with my WD Elements 2TB external harddrive. I have it since April this year and it worked properly right about until I installed OS Lion on my macbook version 10.7.1.

When I plug the usb cabel into my macbook it says: ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’. So I try to initialize it with disk utility but I have no options in first aid. I do however in erase, but whatever I try as an option to erase it says: ‘Disk erase failed with the error: Unable to write to the last block of the device’.

I don’t really know what it means or how to fix it, so hopefully some of you people can help me with this problem!

Hello,

If you connect the drive into another computer do you experience the same issue?

Unfortunately the “help” I received from WD tech support was none at all. The tech suggested checking the Boot ROM version of my MacPro, which I think was phased out w/ PowerPC based units.

There could be some type of corruption with your Disk Utility app. If you boot using cmd-r you can use the disk utility app from the restoration partition and then you can erase, partition, or RAID to your hearts content. You can also copy the disk utility  app to your startup disk from there as well.

yeah, it might be a corruption issue, but you may want to not just reformat.  you will lose all your data.  there are partition restoring utilities out there if you want to look for one.