WD Elements 2 TB , shows on xp 2 TB but ..plz help

WD Elements 2 TB , shows on win XP (1.88 TB) but shows on win 10 as (27.94 GB) only …

what do i need to do … it came as exfat … so working on win and mac …

but i need to restore full size which is 2 TB … on win 10 … i don’t use mac at all .

i need it NTFS or GPT OR MBR … don’t know much … please help me …

i tried delete volume repartition then it came 27.94 GB on both win xp and win 10 … :weary: now where is the full storage 2 TB … no information on it needed .

Hi Modi,

The issue seems to be with the file system of your WD Elements 2 TB external drive. You may try to low level format and initialize the drive using the links below:

it sounds like the drive may have been formatted as FAT32 in the XP machine. Windows limits FAT32 partitions to 32GB so that could be why you are only seeing a 28GB partition.

If the links above won’t recover the full capacity you can try using the diskpart clean command from the cmd prompt. This will clear all partitions from the drive and set it back to uninitialized and unallocated. Once that is done you can use disk management to initialize the disk, create a new partition, and format the drive. Since it is a 2TB drive you can use either GPT or MBR for the partition type. anything larger than 2TB requires GPT.

i did so steps above … still shows 29 gb max on win 10 … didn’t tested on win xp yet … i want it GPT 2 terabyte on win 10 .

How is the drive showing in disk management? Do you see multiple partitions? Any unallocated space?

did you try using the diskpart clean command from the command line? Keep in mind this will delete all data from the drive so if you have any important data on it that will need to be backed up first.

here are instructions for using diskpart below. Once you have used the clean command you can use disk management to initialize, partition, and format the drive.

i did zero full format the drive … took around 35 minutes for 2 terabyte …
all sectors … then i went to disk management and initialized it …it only shows 27 GB … unallocated …

i marked on it and clicked make partiotion or new simple volume …

it only max (28613) MB …

thats all done on win 10 .

so the messy point is after i do full erase zero low format .

have you tried diskpart? i linked it in my last post. if the partition was set to 32Gb in XP just formatting will not fix it. you have to sue diskpart to clean all the partitions. try diskpart clean and let us know what the results are.

just remember, Windows XP 32-Bit does not support GPT.

if you want to use the hard drive on both Windows 10 and Windows XP then it must be partitioned MBR.