WD Drives vs Others

I was attaching a drive to my My Cloud and it was dead. Luckily I have backup!!! My question before purchasing is is there any benefit to using WD drives or does it matter? Prices are similar, so I just wanted to check!

TIA,

I’ve only tested two USB 3.0 drives on the MyCloud and the results were surprising.

I bought the 4TB MyBook to mirror my MyCloud and when connected it gave amazing speeds of 40MB/s writes and 70MB/s reads which was just 5MB/s less then the Cloud itself which had specs of 45MB/s writes and 75MB/s reads on a 733MB file.

I had a very fast Vantec Raid Drive that had Raid 0 across 4 drives that when attached to a normal USB 3.0 port gave read/write speeds of up to 180MB/s writes.

When I connected this amazing drive to the Cloud, I got a disappointing speed of 17MB/s writes and 25MB/s reads (or thereabouts… some of you may be comparing my quotes of speeds between posts, it is that I’m old and just trying to throw out the numbers from my head).

I always suspect that there is a line of code “If USB 3.0 drive not == WD then set speed = USB2” :stuck_out_tongue:

However, that is what I got when I attached different drives to the USB 3.0 when I first did some initial testing on the units.

Go WD and if you get into problems, at least you can argue that both problem is theirs and no one else. 

1 Like

I was having speed issues with the device before, so this lock me in on purchasing a WD drive thanks for the info!!!

bdphifer wrote:

I was having speed issues with the device before, so this lock me in on purchasing a WD drive thanks for the info!!!

sold another one!!..  Bill? HD Staff? when do I get my commision cheques?