WD drives and Mac Yosemite

Hi,

After months after the release of Apple’s new OS for the Mac, several compatibility issues are reported here and in other forums. Some WD drives seem not to be recognized when used with a Mac updated to Yosemite (OS X 10.10).

Some customers suspect this is a fault of WD software supplied with the drives. Some others report that the problems happen when the drives are attached to the Mac when doing the upgrade to Yosemite.

As far as I can see, there is no official word from WD. Any news from them would be very useful for those who need to upgrade, but are afraid of losing their data. Even saying that the problem is still being investigated would be very useful to decide how to proceed.

So, I hope some WD representative can help us make things clearer.

Paolo

Hello Paolo,

As a recommendation, contact WD support for direct assistance on this matter.

WD Contact info:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22

1 Like

ER,

Thank you very much for you answer. But – so, no official statement from WD, yet… :frowning:

Paolo

The Italian support centre contacted me, and they excluded there is any problem with WD drives and Yosemite. They have had some under test in their laboratories, and they are working fine.

What the technician at the phone recommended was to upgrade to Yosemite with all the drives disconnected, to avoid the OS installer forcibly updates the driver in the external disk. A backup is, obviously, strongly recommended before upgrading. After the whole OS upgrade process is completed, you can start reconnecting the external drives.

For now, I must thank WD support personnel for their skill, clarity and attention to the customer’s problems.

Paolo

Now and then the Yosemite 10.10.2. reports that I did not eject the WD Studio 0309A properly and then the icon for it disappears. Additionally, I am now having trouble powering up. Any suggestions

I had been running Yosemite for several months with no problem.  Yesterday I installed an update (to Yosemite 10.10.3).  Since then, Time Machine has been unable to back up to my WD external drive.  After the initial backup attempt failed, this message appeared on my screen: 

OS X can’t repair the disk “My Book.”  You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk.  Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.

Any further information or experience on this?