WD doesnt care about clients?

you know i’ve got 2 of these wd tv live plus and they seem to work fine. I do have an issue that pops up every once in a while which is annoying but it does’nt stop me from enjoying my media experience. On both boxes, while in thumbnail view if I jump from one folder to the next i’ll get lockups and the remote will lose control and i’ll have to uplug the power from the box and re-plug it back in for it to regain control. Don’t know if this happens to anyone out there?

What would you want the timer function to do? Do you mean that is should turn off the unit automatically when it’s not in use? If the above is correct, could’nt you just press the off button on the remote control?

MikeyMike wrote:
you know i’ve got 2 of these wd tv live plus and they seem to work fine. I do have an issue that pops up every once in a while which is annoying but it does’nt stop me from enjoying my media experience. On both boxes, while in thumbnail view if I jump from one folder to the next i’ll get lockups and the remote will lose control and i’ll have to uplug the power from the box and re-plug it back in for it to regain control. Don’t know if this happens to anyone out there?

If you have tons of thumbnails this can cause problems – other than that I’ve never heard of simply jumping from one folder to the next being a problem.

With, say, hundreds of thumbnails you will get buffer lockup and then the only way to get out is to reboot as you describe.

yeah, you solved my problem!! i can press the off button!! that is what the button is for, why do i need a timer?! why do i need a timer on the TV or on the AC, or in the oven! i can just press the off button. Duhh.

I like to watch tv before sleep and i turn the timer on the tv in case i fell asleep, i wanted a simple timer on the wd live so that i could sleep without the player turned on all night. but that might be a little to far ahead for you.

Another issue is the subtitle ajustment that simply doesnt work. it appears that it ajusts 100msecs but the subtitle is exactly the same.

josepimenta wrote:

yeah, you solved my problem!! i can press the off button!! that is what the button is for, why do i need a timer?! why do i need a timer on the TV or on the AC, or in the oven! i can just press the off button. Duhh.

I like to watch tv before sleep and i turn the timer on the tv in case i fell asleep, i wanted a simple timer on the wd live so that i could sleep without the player turned on all night. but that might be a little to far ahead for you.

Another issue is the subtitle ajustment that simply doesnt work. it appears that it ajusts 100msecs but the subtitle is exactly the same.

Hi Jose, I just wanted to chip in and say that I also like to watch TV before falling asleep, I set the timer on my TV and just let the WD Live do it’s thing… Mainly because when you turn off the WD it will lose all the “bookmarks” of shows you have started to watch, so when you come back to them later, you will have to start from the begining.

You can put an idea into the Idea Lab, but don’t hold your breath for getting it implemented any time soon.

And your question is?

This is a user-to-user community forum where we try and help anyone who needs it.  It’s not particularly an effective place to moan and complain about things (but if it makes you feel better…)

WD has released a number of firmware updates in the last six months so I’m not so sure what you’re talking about.  In fact, there is still a current beta out there and as soon as it’s stable we’ll see it released.  However, the updates are mostly to fix bugs and not to add features so at least in that regard you are correct.  But as with any of these devices, you should NOT buy something that doesn’t already do what you want it to do (because it may never do it).  Doing that is a lot like marrying someone with the hopes they will change into someone you really want (and that NEVER works :>)

* They have relased a couple BETA firmwares and one Official, all of which have introduced new issues with functionallity and video playback.

* The only new feature I am aware of were DVD Menus, which was kicked down to the Live when the Plus came out, possibly to soften the sting of no Netflix for Live owners.

* The Ideas Lab is a Black Hole for people to post in at best, a bad joke at worst. I think the only person who looks at it and takes the ideas seriously is b.Rad

So did you actually have a point you were trying to make, or just knee-jerk Cheerleading? I like the WD boxes a lot, but not enough to sugar coat it’s shortcomings =/ Hands down this is the best media box out there for the price range, but the support from WD is pretty awful. If not for this community I would have returned my 1st one and not bought so many for friends and family.

josepimenta wrote:

It works like a charm … maybe you instead should focus on, what you are doing wrong?

Cocovanna

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Hands down this is the best media box out there for the price range…  bought so many for friends and family.

Hmmm – and YOUR point is?

(Let’s see if I get this straight – you think it’s pretty awful but it’s the best and you keep buying them.  I can recommend a good psychiatrist if you need one).

This is a user-to-user community, so all your moaning and complaining is pretty silly.  If you think this place is at all helpful you shouldn’t be trying to make the people who help you mad.

I’m not sure why you guys are always so hard on people posting in the forum. It often sounds more like a religious forum  than a technical support forum (the good guy / bad guy mentality).  I often wonder if this forum is hosted by Apple or something…

I have to agree with the original post, I also was disapointed about the seeking issues of the device (I would say sub par), no one should have to read a manual, a spec sheet or a forum to know if a media player seek function is working properly.   Would you look into a manual to know if you will be able to fast forward with a DVD player?

I can hear people saying that this is not a DVD, that this is a media player, I completely agree. 

I expect a media player to have compatibility issues with a couple of formats and bit rates, to crash every once in a while on a file that is corrupted or even to be missing a couple of codecs.  On the other hand,  when I buy a media player, I expect the basic functions to be working correctly, Play/Pause/Stop/Fast forward/Rewind.

Rather than being mean and tell people to read the manual and specs before they buy, why not try to see if something can be done to help the guy?   Something like “Some mkv’s won’t be able to seek, some file types will work better, etc…”

To the valued regular advisors reading this post, your help is very much appreciated and your knowledge is great.  That doesn’t give you a license to insult people who didn’t go as far as reading the spec sheet or the entire manual before posting. 

Cheers

Cocovanna No it doesnt work. I had files with subtitles which needed adjustment and the player couldnt do it. I really tried, it appear on screen that it was adjusting + or - and the subs times were the same.

@   ian_b thanks for the message, its good hearing someone who doesnt start treating other costumers like an handicap just because I had some complaints against this media player and the support “not” given by WD.

Thank you.

ian_b wrote:

I’m not sure why you guys are always so hard on people posting in the forum. It often sounds more like a religious forum  than a technical support forum (the good guy / bad guy mentality).  I often wonder if this forum is hosted by Apple or something…

I have to agree with the original post, I also was disappointed about the seeking issues of the device (I would say sub par), no one should have to read a manual, a spec sheet or a forum to know if a media player seek function is working properly.   Would you look into a manual to know if you will be able to fast forward with a DVD player?

I can hear people saying that this is not a DVD, that this is a media player, I completely agree. 

I expect a media player to have compatibility issues with a couple of formats and bit rates, to crash every once in a while on a file that is corrupted or even to be missing a couple of codecs.  On the other hand,  when I buy a media player, I expect the basic functions to be working correctly, Play/Pause/Stop/Fast forward/Rewind.

Rather than being mean and tell people to read the manual and specs before they buy, why not try to see if something can be done to help the guy?   Something like “Some mkv’s won’t be able to seek, some file types will work better, etc…”

To the valued regular advisors reading this post, your help is very much appreciated and your knowledge is great.  That doesn’t give you a license to insult people who didn’t go as far as reading the spec sheet or the entire manual before posting. 

Cheers

• *> Welcome to the forums.> Insult people?  Hmmm, if you point out where I’ve insulted anyone (at least before they started on me) I would be glad to humbly apologies.  About the only thing I did was ask the original poster what he wanted us to do to help him, since I couldn’t see an actual question anywhere in his post.> Now, the Apple forums ARE a religious experience – but even there folks who support are well aware of the limitations of the products, just as those of us here are.  If you stick around and read any of the thousands of messages I have written you’ll see I am quick to criticize WD (I may, in fact, be far more critical than anyone else who has posted in this thread).> There’s a difference between constructive criticism and complaining for the heck of it, and particular on a forum like this when for the most part all you are doing is annoying those of us who are trying to make the products work.  Indeed, the whole concept of this forum is one of my biggest complaints about WD – I wish to heck they’d make it clearer that this IS a user-to-user support group, like it is with about 99.9999% of any other company’s forums I’ve ever seen.  It’s an extremely rare occurrence to have a company actually support its products through a forum like this.  WD seems to want to hedge its bets and have it both ways when it really isn’t the case (there!  Isn’t that critical of WD?).>

Ok then, they have this forum, well built. But I’ve asked for a timer function a long time ago, any answer? no. I’ve asked to correct the FF issues. any change? no. So they have a tidy, well built forum, but it has no productivity. It just helps people who dont connect the cables right or are using files that are incompatible. And I LIKE WD products. If you look in my profile, i’m the oldest registered in this forum. I just got tired of this behaviour from WD and just said what came into my mind at that moment. Sorry if that is a moan, maybe it was, but i guess im entitled to.

You asked for a timer… and where did you want them to reply?  As I said, this isn’t the place.  It’s not completely your fault because (as I also said) WD doesn’t make it very clear that all you’ll get here is user help.  But if you want an answer, here it is – you won’t get your timer, just like I won’t get my thumbnail fix.  I’m sorry for you (but not half as sorry as I am for me :>).

I assume you mean by “FF issue” you are talking about an unsmooth FF playback.  This has been addressed here quite a bit in the forums and it’s not entirely (or even mostly) anything WD can do about it.  It’s the nature of the files – MP4 files will FF and RW quite smoothly if authored properly.  Other files can’t, not with ANY device.  WD can’t fix something wrong with a file format they don’t control.

mkelley wrote:

Welcome to the forums.> Insult people?  Hmmm, if you point out where I’ve insulted anyone (at least before they started on me) I would be glad to humbly apologies.  About the only thing I did was ask the original poster what he wanted us to do to help him, since I couldn’t see an actual question anywhere in his post.> Now, the Apple forums ARE a religious experience – but even there folks who support are well aware of the limitations of the products, just as those of us here are.  If you stick around and read any of the thousands of messages I have written you’ll see I am quick to criticize WD (I may, in fact, be far more critical than anyone else who has posted in this thread).> There’s a difference between constructive criticism and complaining for the heck of it, and particular on a forum like this when for the most part all you are doing is annoying those of us who are trying to make the products work.  Indeed, the whole concept of this forum is one of my biggest complaints about WD – I wish to heck they’d make it clearer that this IS a user-to-user support group, like it is with about 99.9999% of any other company’s forums I’ve ever seen.  It’s an extremely rare occurrence to have a company actually support its products through a forum like this.  WD seems to want to hedge its bets and have it both ways when it really isn’t the case (there!  Isn’t that critical of WD?).>

I didn’t mention your name anywhere mkelley, I replied just after a guy saying “maybe you instead should focus on, what you are doing wrong?”.  I can point you to numerous other threads and give you a couple of names right of the top of my head.  The Netflix Canada thread probably would be the best example but I’m sure you know exactly what I mean. 

It is not common knowledge that WD doesn’t monitors the forum so it’s understandable that the initial message or two from newbies are a bit arsh thinking that WD will read about their discontent.  It’s called venting out and a lot of people do it… I know I do it. 

I was making a call for respect, it wasn’t directed towards anyone specific.  (which is why I didn’t feel the need to quote)

Cheers

1 Like

the tv I bought as a media player that does a smooth FF without any problem. and its an integrated player. even in 1080p mkv. Then you can say, “if you have another player use that one”, but i also use the wd media player, and i would like it to work normally. I believe its just a firmware issue and it could be fixed, but that would mean investement in developing software and thats expensive especially if its for people who already bought a device.

But ok, you’re right. this might not be the place. And thank you for your time, sorry for something i misspelled, i’m portuguese. :slight_smile:

I agree with ya Jose.

FF and RW should work better than it does.

MEDIA SERVERS (DLNA) do tend to work better for some reason; probably because the protocol includes a “Seek” specification that the WDTV doesn’t have to worry about doing it itself like it does with “Raw” files.

Not an excuse, but a possible reason…

DVD navigation works quite well with FF and REW, too…  Just as good as my hardware DVD player, so I know WDC has it in them, it’s just a matter of where there priorities lie.

And I’m hoping they fix the more critical bugs (like the poor folks who get NO VIDEO because HDMI syncs up to an illegal mode) and have no way of getting a picture…  

TonyPh12345 wrote:

it’s BECAUSE of the DVD functionality that the HDMI issues started.

[Citation needed]. Thanks.

Heheh…  WD Wiki…  

If the Search Function here worked better, I’d be able to pull that up for you.   There’s a post here somewhere from a WD-Staff person that explains the whole SDK / HDMI issue that started in the 1.03 code (Live+ initial release and all Live Betas since.)

I remember referring to that very post a while back, but even MY posts no longer show up in the search results (it seems like only the latest 1,000 posts are accessible.)

mkelley wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Hands down this is the best media box out there for the price range…  bought so many for friends and family.

(Let’s see if I get this straight – you think it’s pretty awful but it’s the best and you keep buying them.  I can recommend a good psychiatrist if you need one).

This is a user-to-user community, so all your moaning and complaining is pretty silly.  If you think this place is at all helpful you shouldn’t be trying to make the people who help you mad.

Wow, so sensitive today. Did you take your Midol? The only person I see getting defensive and crying is you =/  I’ve always said I liked the WD Live Plus, and I have always been clear that I thought the support was pretty aweful.

If you have nothing better to do in your dottage than lurk on forums all day and condenscend to people, I kind of feel sorry for you. Get a hobby, build ships in a bottle, make pictures out of jelly beans … something.

_ "And your question is? _

_   _

This is a user-to-user community forum where we try and help anyone who needs it.  It’s not particularly an effective place to moan and complain about things (but if it makes you feel better…)"

This was the first thing you posted in this thread … what a completely idiotic thing to say to someone for no reason. I think I know someone who could use that psychiatric help … look in the mirror. If you are so unhappy with people posting … leave?

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

mkelley wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Wow, so sensitive today. Did you take your Midol? The only person I see getting defensive and crying is you =/  I’ve always said I liked the WD Live Plus, and I have always been clear that I thought the support was pretty aweful.

If you have nothing better to do in your dottage than lurk on forums all day and condenscend to people, I kind of feel sorry for you. Get a hobby, build ships in a bottle, make pictures out of jelly beans … something.

_ "And your question is? _

_   _

This is a user-to-user community forum where we try and help anyone who needs it.  It’s not particularly an effective place to moan and complain about things (but if it makes you feel better…)"

This was the first thing you posted in this thread … what a completely idiotic thing to say to someone for no reason. I think I know someone who could use that psychiatric help … look in the mirror. If you are so unhappy with people posting … leave?

You know that this forum is a self help user group. The original poster has only ever posted in this thread. He never posted any of his problems or asked for advice / help. It might do him some good for him to get it off his chest but in turn we are entitled to reply as we see fit. Its no good going on and on about timers etc when its very unlikely that this function will be added. I realise that its on some pieces of electronics but its not a standard. I have many electronic units and nearly all of them do not have timers.