WD Cloud app - mkv question

Is there no way to play mkv files on my ipad air using the WD Cloud ap? I really do not want to take the time converting all my mkv files to mp4.

drew.mun wrote:

Is there no way to play mkv files on my ipad air using the WD Cloud ap? I really do not want to take the time converting all my mkv files to mp4. 

Correct, you cannot play them using the app on any iOS device.

But you can use the app to download them then open them in whatever app you want to play them in such as VLC or whatever…

seems silly to download them then play them on an app like VLC.

I use an app called itsplaying pro to play mkv and any other type of vid on my ipad from the mycloud. As long as you are on your home network it will detect the mycloud and stream from it within the app. I haven’t found a solu5ioon that works off network for iOS though.

It depends on which NAS is being used. The more recent My Cloud NASes have Plex server capability… For any other NAS, one can run Plex server on a PC…

There is a way to play MKV files. I do it all the time. Here’s how : get the link to the network file location by selecting “email link” from the WD app. Check ur inbox u will see the file as a “download link” u don’t have to download it, just copy the address. (I’m assuming you already have VLC installed on your iPad) open VLC press the cone in the corner, select open network stream, the link should automatically be lasted in the box, but if not paste the link. Click open, and Alloha MKV on iPad without converting!