WD Blue SN570

Hi,
I purchased a new WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD 500gb on Apr 29,2022
And tried to install on my HP Pavilion laptop 15-cc6xx with Windows 10 ( Home edition)

However the new SSD could not be detected in BIOS,Windows explorer, Device manager/Disk Management. The BIOS version is also upto date with latest firmware and i also rechecked the mohterboard compatibility which supports 512gb & 256gb PCIe,NVMe SSD’s

No luck with 3rd party tools and none of the tools detected or recognized the new SSD

Please advice/share inputs on what could be the issue and how to resolve it

1 Like

Your BIOS is set to legacy for your hard drive. You need to convert your drive from MBR to GPT using the mbr2gpt command (google it) once done, the BIOS needs to be set to UEFI to see your GPT drive. Then use the WD free Acronis software to clone your drive to the NVMe SSD drive.

Legacy mode cannot see the SN570

I wasn’t clear, Your hard drive needs to be changed from Legacy to UEFI in the BIOS after the GPT conversion.

The new motherboards have two modes. They are all UEFI but they are backwards compatible to the legacy BIOS. UEFI can do BIOS but BIOS cannot do UEFI.

Hi,
thanks for the inputs.
Do i’ve to change the old HDD from MBR to GPT or the new SSD?

The BIOS mode is already UEFI, but still the disk doesn’t show up either in BIOS/disk manager/Windows.

Sorry, i’m unable to follow the sequence.

If you google the mbr2gpt command, you will see the steps to convert your present hard drive to GPT.
Its very simple, print it out and follow it.

The NVMe memory cannot be seen with the Legacy mode enabled on the motherboard.

Once you finish upgrading your hard drive to GPT, it will not be recognized if you reboot with the bios settings set for a legacy boot. When you reboot, go into the BIOS and set your hard drive to UEFI instead of legacy and your hard drive will boot using the new GPT

Now the motherboard should be able to see the NVMe hard drive. Look at it in the BIOS and confirm that it sees it. After the conversion and boot, install the free Acronis software, it should see the drive and transfer the data to the new drive. Acronis will see the drive, windows will not. If you want to see the drive in windows go to disk manager and initialize the device and format it. Acronis does that for you.

There could be some confusion here. The motherboard is UEFI but in the settings for the hard drive, it is set to legacy. Legacy is BIOS mode. Converting the drive from mbr to gpt allows you to switch the drive from legacy to UEFI. At that point the new drive will be seen by the bios.

1 Like

Its unfortunate that the SSD is not being detected despite the compatibility of your laptop and your efforts to troubleshoot the issue. To further investigate, I recommend checking if the M.2 slot on your HP Pavilion laptop supports NVme SSDs. Try updating your laptop BIOS to the latest version from HPs official website as it may contain necessary compatibility fixes.

1 Like