WD BLUE SN550 purge/sanitize/namespace resize & poor write performance

Hello,

Im struggeling with this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/s8nv8i/nvme_cli_wd_blue_sn550_sanitize_purge_namespace/

In short:

Is there anyway to sanitize/purge the whole drive that “nvme list” in linux shows 0 bytes usage again for the namespace? And or the WD dashboard shows 0 again?

Is there a way to resize the namespace with WD dashboard & overprovision the drive to increase performance?

Is “sanitize / secure erase” of WD Dashboard supported for SN550 and it currently just doesnt work because of my KVM mapping?

Is “sanitize / secure erase” of WD Dashboard fixing the namespace utilization?

Why is the drive in “hard”=sustainted benchmarks only reaching write speeds of about 5MB/sek?
Read speed is even for “hard” benchmarks pretty good, so it must be the hardware…

Found this thread here: SN550 - Why it uses 512B sector instead of 4096?

Im also benchmarking now with a sector size of 4096. Sadly most important is “cleaning” the drive first… which im still struggeling with…

Edit: Done, same poor performance.

Hi @blonkel,

We would suggest installing the drive in a Windows computer as a secondary drive and testing using WD Dashboard.
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31759

Hello @Keerti_01,

Thanks for supporting me.
I installed the drive as a secondary into a windows 10 machine.

Running a full smart check was giving me this result:

Which says, everything is okay with the device.

First question:

• I tried to sanitize, secure erase it and on top i was running trim by windows.
    I would be expecting now that the drive is “fully” empty and the namespace usage would drop to almost 0.

Sadly the utilization is still high, why? is this expected?

Running now:
GitHub - earlephilhower/ezfio: Simple NVME/SAS/SATA SSD test framework for Linux and Windows (which is a durability test) on windows, will come back here will the result of my tests. (Which should be the same as on my linux machines…)

Hello,

Sadly windows created me some trouble, by installing security updates and restarting the machine… Also im preferring now the CLI tool instead the UI tool of “ezfio”. Benchmark is still running though…

finally after days of running and some kickbacks of windows updates… heres the result:

As you can see here those drives have sustained writes of less then 30MB/s even under windows.
We wanted to use those drives in our startup creating a cloud computing project and already installed those in the servers in our datacenter. We feel very disappointed by WD by comparing it against this datasheet:

We bought 20 of those drive, which is very unusable now for us.

@Keerti_01 Please explain where this huge gap between real usage and your datasheet is coming from. We were expecting much more from a TLC drive.

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask