WD Black2 and Windows 10

Hey All,

Like those of you with the WD Black2 drive I’m looking to upgrade to windows 10 very shortly. I’ve read the horror stories in the forum about doing so without a plan so I’m wondering how to go about it when windows 10 arrives.

There are two ways to install it, an upgrade over your previous install or a fresh install.

I prefer a fresh insall.

In order to make this work properly how do we go about it? Will I need to uninstall the special WD software first, hiding the traditional spin drive and then attempt it? Will this erase whats on the spin or is it kept there until windows 10 is installed on the SSD drive and the software is installed as well?

A guide would be helpful from WD but anyone with experience doing this successfully and without problems would be doing us all a HUGE favor.

Hi, welcome to the community.

Unfortunately I have not tried this, lets see if another user can provide some guidance or tips on this matter.

Thanks for the welcome.

So far as I can tell, the only way to do this is to follow the rather nonspecific user guide that comes with the drive. You have to wipe everything off your 1tb storage, use disk management to remove the partition, then use WD software to uninstall the drive.

What I don’t understand is what happens next. It says the computer will reboot, but does it reboot with the SSD visible only? Does it wipe windows after the reboot? If it does leave the SSD in place like when you got the drive I could then upgrade to windows 10 but who knows.

Anyone else?

I tried to Upgrade from win7 to win10 Pro N … i Stuck ( copy files 48%) then Canceled

How fresh install  without loss of data in the Partition 1Tb  ?? 

Any Idea !!

sorry for bad English

harjon wrote:

Hey All,

Like those of you with the WD Black2 drive I’m looking to upgrade to windows 10 very shortly. I’ve read the horror stories in the forum about doing so without a plan so I’m wondering how to go about it when windows 10 arrives.

There are two ways to install it, an upgrade over your previous install or a fresh install.

I prefer a fresh insall.

In order to make this work properly how do we go about it? Will I need to uninstall the special WD software first, hiding the traditional spin drive and then attempt it? Will this erase whats on the spin or is it kept there until windows 10 is installed on the SSD drive and the software is installed as well?

A guide would be helpful from WD but anyone with experience doing this successfully and without problems would be doing us all a HUGE favor.

I just checked with support, and we were able to update to Windows 10 with no issue.  However, we did happen to have the 1TB partition turned off when we updated.  I’m looking to see if what we recommend. I will post back once I know for sure.

No matter what, make sure you back up your data.  And make sure to run a virus scan of the drive, and have all your Windows updates done.

M.SaLaMa wrote:

I tried to Upgrade from win7 to win10 Pro N … i Stuck ( copy files 48%) then Canceled

How fresh install  without loss of data in the Partition 1Tb  ?? 

Any Idea !!

sorry for bad English

You won’t be able to do a fresh install without deleting the 1TB partition, turning off the 1 TB partition in the software, and then uninstalling the WD Black² software.  If that is what you want, please make sure to backup all your data first.

As of right now, we are only supporting the WD Black² on the current operating systems advertised.  That means that we are only providing support for Windows 8.1*, 8, 7, Vista, and XP (32-bit), Mac OS X 10.9.x and Mac OS X 10.10.x.  

Obviously, you can try updating to Windows 10, and if it works, then it works.  

1 Like

I did this upgrade without problem but starting using Windows 10 realised it isn’t for me yet. Then I have rolled back to my Windows 7 and then faced very unusual problem: everything looks the same but couldn’t open files in just one specifiI folder. Not all files but just Office file. Windows shows error message about not-existing path. If copy this files to drive C- then all opens without problem. Have instaled latest update for Windows and everything get back to normal!

I have a laptop which has had the hybrid Black drive running beautifully for more than a year , an has the SSD for my system boot in win  7 pro.   

I finally accepted the Upgrade to windows 10 prompt, and it appeared to run just fine, but on a reboot during the upgrade process, it apparently wiped the mbr, and now after the system bios check runs, it cannot see the Black drive, i think.  

I had made a win7 recovery DVD, which I can boot to.  at a command prompt, it does not see a “C:” drive".

Am I totally screwed?  Astonished that Microsoft would not have embedded the drivers to support this hybrid drive, and sure hoping there is a solution besides a total reinstall of Win 7 Pro plus all the applications I have (ha) on this laptop.  

Is there a way to “roll back” to win7, when your system can’t boot and the win 7 rescue dvd cannot see the WD boot drive?

I had the same problem. You have to make a clean install from the windows DVD. I my case I use EaseUs Todo back up and i can rescu the system from an image file.

I also tried to repair the mbr with the tool provided in the windows DVD but no way.

Regards,

Gustavo

At this point, I have wiped everything and re-installed windows 7 on the SSD, and returned the data to the HDD, reinstalled all of my programs and apps, re-registered safely (phew) my adobe products and office, everything.   

The tech support guy at WD told me that they do not support Windows 10 for this dirve product.  Sure would have been good for the windows install routine, which in theory TESTS your hardware for compatibility, to flag that SSD.  

Sure love the speed of the Black2, but not so happy at the overall experience.  Fortunately I had a full backup of everything. Yay backups.  

Had Windows 7 installed on the SSD part of this drive with no problems.
Upgraded to Windows 10, still worked.
Got a new larger SSD so reinstalled Windows 10 on that, could still access both parts of this drive.
Reinitialized the WD Black2, now can only see the 1TB HDD part.
Attempted to install the driver software, Windows 10 locks up.

Put in a Warranty/RMA Ticket for refund since the drive no longer functions :frowning: