Wd black goes to sleep mode. How to stop it?

I have Orico docking station with Western Digital 4TB Black internal hard disk drive. If i don’t use the disk for 2-3 minutes the disk goes to sleep mode . I have disabled in power management setting ,set hard drive to turn off to “Never” and usb selective suspend setting to “Disable”. I am not able to work if it goes to stand by if i want access files quickly. I have also checked with System file checker and no error was found. I am using windows 10 64bit latest to this date.

I own two SABRENT Model No. EC-DFLT USB 3.0 dock/case and neither goes to sleep on Windows 10, v1909 or MAC OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 while in use. I had to open the first and solder the power connection socket but since then no problems.

I think I have USB set to never turn off on Windows and the drive spins down after being idle for a time, maybe 20~30 minutes. It never goes to sleep while files are being read or written. I don’t know the setting for OS X but I’ve never had a problem.

This isn’t a recommendation for the SABRENT EC-DFLT but it’s only $23.00 USD so it seems reasonable for what you get. The body is all plastic. It comes with a power block and USB 3.0 cable.

One oddity is a WD Black 4TB that is partitioned and formated on a SATA channel as a GPT HD can’t be read in the SABRENT and vice versa. The Reserved Partiton starts at a different offset depending on SATA or USB. This is not the case with Hitachi (Deskstar?) 1TB HD(s) also GPT. Very strange to me.

Dave

Hope I have all the typos corrected… :slight_smile:

Thats bad. Did you find any solution for it? or hanging onto it.

I developed a work around I’m hoping will keep my external WD-Black P10 from spinning down/going to sleep constantly. I create a BAT file that creates then removes a folder on the Black drive. I then used Task Schedule to run it every 5 minutes whenever I’m logged into my computer (hidden). Let’s hope this works because all Tech Support could tell me was that the drive doesn’t power itself down.

Hi I have the same issue on my Orico docking station. It is normal and is a design feature of these docking stations. The solution that works for me is to install HWiNFO64 and let it run in the background. it regularly scans all hard drives even USB ones and prevent them to go to sleep. You can also adjust the scanning interval in its settings. When you want the drives to go to sleep just exit the HWiNFO app.