Wd black goes to sleep mode. How to stop it?

I have Orico docking station with Western Digital 4TB Black internal hard disk drive. If i don’t use the disk for 2-3 minutes the disk goes to sleep mode . I have disabled in power management setting ,set hard drive to turn off to “Never” and usb selective suspend setting to “Disable”. I am not able to work if it goes to stand by if i want access files quickly. I have also checked with System file checker and no error was found. I am using windows 10 64bit latest to this date.

I own two SABRENT Model No. EC-DFLT USB 3.0 dock/case and neither goes to sleep on Windows 10, v1909 or MAC OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 while in use. I had to open the first and solder the power connection socket but since then no problems.

I think I have USB set to never turn off on Windows and the drive spins down after being idle for a time, maybe 20~30 minutes. It never goes to sleep while files are being read or written. I don’t know the setting for OS X but I’ve never had a problem.

This isn’t a recommendation for the SABRENT EC-DFLT but it’s only $23.00 USD so it seems reasonable for what you get. The body is all plastic. It comes with a power block and USB 3.0 cable.

One oddity is a WD Black 4TB that is partitioned and formated on a SATA channel as a GPT HD can’t be read in the SABRENT and vice versa. The Reserved Partiton starts at a different offset depending on SATA or USB. This is not the case with Hitachi (Deskstar?) 1TB HD(s) also GPT. Very strange to me.

Dave

Hope I have all the typos corrected… :slight_smile:

Thats bad. Did you find any solution for it? or hanging onto it.