WD_Black 8to repeatedly disconnects+reconnects instantly

Hello,

Many of you heard of this issue, I hope I’ll either get help or better ideas at why the disconnect/reconnect repeats every 5-10 sec or so while using this external hard drive.

MY SITUATION:
Acquired a WD_Black SSD 8to (usb3.0) 8 days ago, and after I plugged it in it kept reconnecting and disconnecting more or less every 5 second or so.*

The first day it managed somehow to stabilize for over 15hours but since then it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting.
It’s so bad that for sanity sake while I’m writing this topic I had to unplug-it because genuinely every 5 seconds windows tells me that the wd_black disconnected (+reconnects) and has a problem.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

• switched the usb3.0 cable of WD with a new one (actual brand new ‘gold-plated’ 3.0 cable): FAILED
  • uninstall-reinstall USB 3.0 Hub: FAILED
  • used the other usb3.0 slot on my PC to see if it works better: FAILED
  • disabled every infamous ‘Power Off/Saving/USBs ports’: FAILED every one of them
  • disabled my dvd-rom to save power ? FAILED
  • used an other external Hard Drive in 3.0 to see if my computer is faulty ? FAILED, the other hard drive was OK.

MY OPINIONS
As the WD_Black is brand new I did not try to plug it in an other pc to see if it fails (disconnects/reconnects). Again, as it is brand new I want to believe that I purchased a good product…

I plugged it in the 2.0 usb slot and works OK but as I said earlier it is a 3.0 usb external hard drive, I want to use it in a 3.0 setting, that is why I bought it.

I don’t believe it is a power-related issue but for arguments’ sake here is my setup (the wd_black has it’s own power supply):

• gtx 1060 running 2 monitors
  • corsair vs650 power supply
  • 1 cheap keyboard
  • 1 cheap mouse
  • i7-4770
  • 16gb ram

Hope’ somebody has an idea, even the slightest because at the moment this 7270gb external SSD is litteraly useless.

I fixed the problem and here is the solution. Keep it mind that it may not work for you but it’s worth a try.

1. Unplug the external hard drive/ssd
  2. pack-it in its original shiping cardboard box (or container)
  3. execute a refund operation
  4. ship it back to the vendor you bought it from
  5. get refunded (easy)
  6. acquire an other external hard drive/ssd
  7. enjoy.

I have the exact same issue. I ordered it this month also. No direct response from WD yet. I bought it because of the transfer speeds and performance specs. I have a 4TB My Book and it doesn’t have this problem.

I do music production and I need to have access to my sounds constantly. It’s extremely annoying when I have to wait 5 to 8 seconds everytime I’m looking for a new sound.

WD any help with this ?

Well, I’m having a similar issue now. I’ve had this 1TB external SSD for almost a year, and there were mostly very few issues. However, recently I kept getting a message saying there was a problem with (D:) and to click it to scan and repair it. Everything else aside, the drive was working fine regardless of this message, until I clicked and tried to repair it just now. I’d done it before and there was no issue, but this time it just keeps disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly, spamming my audio with the disconnect and connect sound. It also won’t detect the drive anymore. What do I do?

Assuming your (D:) drive you’re talking about is the 1TB external SSD, you always have to eject it from your Windows before unplugging it :

1. Click on the little USB logo on the right side of the taskbar “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media”
  2. Click Eject drive “X”

Unplugging an external drive from your computer before ejecting it will cause errors in it, hence these messages. When prompted to repair it, do it and let it finish. Sometimes it takes a while depending on the size of the drive and its content. These error messages will stop appearing after that, wherever you plug it. If the repair is unsuccessful from your main computer try on another one.

I have the same hard drive and had the disconnect/reconnect issues. It was going into sleep mode when not in usage after some time. Here’s how I fixed it :

1. Press the Windows key, type “Device Manager” and press Enter.
  2. Double click “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”
  3. Right click on each USB controller listed and click Properties
  4. Click on the “Power Management” tab and uncheck “Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power”

Do it for every usb controller listed there and now every external drive you plug in any usb port will keep running without disconnecting and reconnecting after some time of inactivity.

Hope this helps.