Many of you heard of this issue, I hope I’ll either get help or better ideas at why the disconnect/reconnect repeats every 5-10 sec or so while using this external hard drive.
Acquired a WD_Black SSD 8to (usb3.0) 8 days ago, and after I plugged it in it kept reconnecting and disconnecting more or less every 5 second or so.*
The first day it managed somehow to stabilize for over 15hours but since then it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting.
It’s so bad that for sanity sake while I’m writing this topic I had to unplug-it because genuinely every 5 seconds windows tells me that the wd_black disconnected (+reconnects) and has a problem.
WHAT I HAVE TRIED
- switched the usb3.0 cable of WD with a new one (actual brand new ‘gold-plated’ 3.0 cable): FAILED
- uninstall-reinstall USB 3.0 Hub: FAILED
- used the other usb3.0 slot on my PC to see if it works better: FAILED
- disabled every infamous ‘Power Off/Saving/USBs ports’: FAILED every one of them
- disabled my dvd-rom to save power ? FAILED
- used an other external Hard Drive in 3.0 to see if my computer is faulty ? FAILED, the other hard drive was OK.
As the WD_Black is brand new I did not try to plug it in an other pc to see if it fails (disconnects/reconnects). Again, as it is brand new I want to believe that I purchased a good product…
I plugged it in the 2.0 usb slot and works OK but as I said earlier it is a 3.0 usb external hard drive, I want to use it in a 3.0 setting, that is why I bought it.
I don’t believe it is a power-related issue but for arguments’ sake here is my setup (the wd_black has it’s own power supply):
- gtx 1060 running 2 monitors
- corsair vs650 power supply
- 1 cheap keyboard
- 1 cheap mouse
- 16gb ram
Hope’ somebody has an idea, even the slightest because at the moment this 7270gb external SSD is litteraly useless.