WD Anywhere Backup General error 9 "The specified path, file name, or both are too long"

Hi All,

WD Anywhere Backup throws spurious General error 9 “The specified path, file name, or both are too long”. It is wrong because I have counted the characters and the paths are compliant.

Sometimes it accepts a path and other times it throws an error like below. There are occasions when the whole backup runs without error on the same files.

Any ideas?

Error Code: 9
Time: 11/07/2010 3:37:16 PM
File: f:\ubersizedrips\bob dylan - 1966 - the bootleg series vol. 4 bob dylan live 1966 - the royal albert hall concert (disc 2)\the bootleg series vol. 4 bob dylan live 1966 - the royal albert hall concert (disc 2).7b9a292b.1a3969a1.pun
Additional Info: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

WD Anywhere Backup was unable to back up this file due to an unknown error. This could occur because of a hardware failure on the source or destination device, or due to a loss of network connectivity.

I get the same error message (Error Code: 9) and I have verified that the length of my file path / name does not exceed the limits displayed by the error message:

Additional Info: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

Some files get the error condition and som don’t.  I haven’t identified a pattern of cause and effect yet.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

bump

Ted_M_H wrote:

I get the same error message (Error Code: 9) and I have verified that the length of my file path / name does not exceed the limits displayed by the error message:

Some files get the error condition and som don’t.  I haven’t identified a pattern of cause and effect yet.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Are you counting from C:.… all the way to the file’s extension, including all spaces?   Also keep in mind that WD Anywhere will add the drive directory and path to that when it writes it to the external drive.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I’m counting all the characters, including the C: and spaces. I still get the message even though I’m well within the specified number of characters. 

I had started renaming my folders and files to make them shorter, but then I realized that even the shortened file path files were getting the error message. Again, I’ve been unable to identify any cause and effect.  Some files back up fine and others don’t.

Any suggestions?

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you could be a little more specific.  What do you mean by Bump?

Actually, the fully specified file name must be less than 248 not 260.  Moreover, you need to understand that when it writes the file to the external drive the software will add its own count based on where it’s folder is that it’s backed up to. 

Also, are you using the latest version of WD Anywhere Backup?  If not, then you should download and update, because it takes care of some of these long file name issues.  Check the log, when you click on the specific error, you should get an explanation at the bottom.

Bump is used to bring thread back to the top of activity so someone can see it.  It’s way overused and people here don’t like it.

Thanks for the reply. 

I’m running version 3.50.4592 and when I check for updates the program tells me that no update is available.  Am I current?

The files I’m having the problem with are less than than 200 characters, inclucing the full C:\ path and the file name, all spaces and characters.  As far as I can tell I am well within the limits of 248 characters.

Any other ideas?  I really need the backup to work reliably.

You should be able to go to our downloads page and under your drive download the 4.5 version.  Follow the instructions for installing and see if that fixes your issue.  Otherwise, that’s all I know.  You’d need to contact Tech Support for more help.

1 Like

Updating to v 4.5 seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.