Was it a mistake to buy WD MyCloud Drive

Only recently bought this drive.
Things seemed to work OK and just a few days later, Western Digital have a service outage.
I hadn’t learned enough about the drive to see if Local Access could have been enabled.

Two days later, the WD service is still down.
Did I mistakenly assume that WD was a reputable company?
And am I wrong to assume that they should have had back-up systems?

Three full days and their service is still down.

9 Likes

I would try to return and go with another company to be honest.

5 Likes

As soon as things are back up and running, I will try and delete my stuff and then try and return it. But, I can’t delete anything without getting access to the drive, can I?

2 Likes

Can see your frustrations … especially when you’re a new user. One thing I’ve learnt is that although you get to keep the physical data (as in the cloud device) at your premises, it does not meant you have full access to the data. In the event any outage, we could be at their mercy.

Let’s hope that they can resolve this sooner and hopefully they are still working on this …

1 Like

Yes, it was. Its like they really don’t care about their customers. I have lost so much work I want to cry.

4 Likes

You seemed to have dated info and haven’t read the development in the last 2 to 3 months which WD has emailed each account holder several times. It has been possible since that time to enable local access and allow local operational control over all user data without any connection to the internet. In addition, it is also possible with additional software to allow remote operation of the My Cloud Home independent of WD servers, which means for some who installed such software, the fact that WD servers are down means nothing - the My Cloud Home remains completely functional.

Enabling local access required authentication during normal operating condition, requiring operational WD servers which is not possible right now because of the security breach in which WD took preemptive actions.

You are hard bent on defending a company that has left so many in the dark and without ANY OF THEIR DATA wether it be for business or personal

Hi no update on their site since April 3 and now april 5th(i am in New Zealand) would expect an update on the delay and projected timeline for restoration.

Any idea of an ETA when this outage will be fixed ? Surely a ‘backup’ company like WD has a Disaster Recovery plan ??!!

As soon as I get the chance (or if I get the chance to) I’m getting all my data off of the cloud and onto pen drive and portable HDD (that is not a western digital product). I did do a back up 2 weeks ago and there’s only some things I want off it. Once this process is done, i’m going to take a hammer to the my cloud device and send the device back in pieces to WD. I will never buy anything from Western digital again.

1 Like

Ive had a wd cloud for ages …1st one they removed support so had to buy another one…which they are removing support again in june . . Probably a few days after they get the systems back up and running…i have started to look at other systems now…

ma una volta risolto posso abilitarlo l’accesso da rete locale ? in questo caso è come se avessi un hard disk normale ?
ma se io apro il my cloud home ed estreggo l’hard disk posso installarlo all’interno di un computer ed utilizzarlo normalmente come memoria supplementare al mio pc?
quando a giugno terminera il servizio ci sarà un modo per accedre al my cloud home ?

Buy a TRUE NAS Device and not this cloud "authenticated’ “enabled” bill even if you have to buy a couple of your own hard drives to throw in it. That’s what I’ve done to replace my My Cloud Home and will be migrating all day when it is active again

I HAVE RETURNED MY HOME CLOUD DRIVE.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.