Want to repartition WD Passport have Smartware to use only one of those partitions

I need to partition a Passport into 3 sections.   I want to use 1 section for images that I will create with a 3rd party application, 1 section for use as a “work” location to move data between computers, and the last partition for file backups via Smartware for 3 computers.

I know how to make the partitions, I just don’t know how to instruct Smartware to use only one of the partitions.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

Smartware will not work properly with the drive with partitions.

You can manually backup your files.

Thank you for your response.

If I leave it as on partition and store things on it that I move in manually (ie. Disk image files), will Smartware know to not write over those files?  Does it check first for whether or not the area has already been written?

If I cannot count on Smartware knowing where to not write, do I just uninstall Smartware.  Right now I have 2 disks installed and I don’t find Smartware on the second drive and I cannot remember preventing it from installing.  I’m thinking of returning it to the factory image and then starting over.  If I do this, what software do I d/l to use the drive simply as an External drive without any backup software?

As you can tell I’m a bit confused and the person I’m trying to help several states away is a complete novice.  I’m thinking about telling them to just copy their files to the Passport by hand but I know they will get out of sync - especially since they just purchased a laptop and are already having problems keeping the laptop and desktop in sync.  (And I won’t admit to how many duplicate files I have on my multiple systems!)

artesian79 wrote:

Thank you for your response.

If I leave it as on partition and store things on it that I move in manually (ie. Disk image files), will Smartware know to not write over those files?  Does it check first for whether or not the area has already been written?

Yes, Smartware will copy files to a backup folder only.

If I cannot count on Smartware knowing where to not write, do I just uninstall Smartware.  Right now I have 2 disks installed and I don’t find Smartware on the second drive and I cannot remember preventing it from installing.  I’m thinking of returning it to the factory image and then starting over.  If I do this, what software do I d/l to use the drive simply as an External drive without any backup software?

As you can tell I’m a bit confused and the person I’m trying to help several states away is a complete novice.  I’m thinking about telling them to just copy their files to the Passport by hand but I know they will get out of sync - especially since they just purchased a laptop and are already having problems keeping the laptop and desktop in sync.  (And I won’t admit to how many duplicate files I have on my multiple systems!)

Yes, you can uninstall and format the drive. It will work normally.