Vulnerability- Old version Portable SDK for UPnP Devices (libupnp- v 1.6.6) running on host

Hello…I am currently running the latest firmware (2.30.172) for MyCloud. I just came across a critical vulnerability as I was running vulnerability scanner on my LAN. Issue seems to be with the version of the Portable SDK for UPnP Devices (libupnp) installed on device possibly through the firmware. According to the scanner, currently installed libupnp version is 1.6.6 while most up-to-date and patched version is 1.6.18. Wanted to check if WD is aware if this issue and of there is any fix planned to address this vulnerability.

Below are the details from my vulnerability scan:

Vulnerability: Portable SDK for UPnP Devices (libupnp) < 1.6.18 Multiple Stack-based Buffer Overflows RCE
Severity: Critical

Description:

According to its banner, the version of Portable SDK for UPnP Devices (libupnp) running on the remote host is prior to 1.6.18. It is, therefore, affected by multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities :

• A stack-based buffer overflow condition exists in the unique_service_name() function within file ssdp/ssdp_server.c when handling Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) requests that is triggered while copying the DeviceType URN. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted SSDP request, to execute arbitrary code.
    (CVE-2012-5958)

• A stack-based buffer overflow condition exists in the unique_service_name() function within file ssdp/ssdp_server.c when handling Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) requests that is triggered while copying the UDN prior to two colons. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted SSDP request, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2012-5959)

• A stack-based buffer overflow condition exists in the unique_service_name() function within file ssdp/ssdp_server.c when handling Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) requests that is triggered while copying the UDN prior to the ‘::upnp:rootdevice’ string. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted SSDP request, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2012-5960)

• Multiple stack-based buffer overflow conditions exist in the unique_service_name() function within file ssdp/ssdp_server.c due to improper validation of the UDN, DeviceType, and ServiceType fields when parsing Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) requests. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit these issues, via a specially crafted SSDP request, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2012-5961, CVE-2012-5962, CVE-2012-5963, CVE-2012-5964, CVE-2012-5965)

Solution:
Upgrade to libupnp version 1.6.18 or later. If libupnp is used as a third party library by a different application, contact the vendor of that application for a fix.

1 Like

@bksml You may want to post this here.

https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/cloud-ideas/l/new

or contact WD. Contact Support | WD Support

@bksml Did you contact WD to give you a solution? I’m running into this exact same problem.

@ericbs I sent an e-mail to them and was waiting for a feedback from them. Didn’t have time to follow up on it, but I just found a way to submit incident ticket to them. I will let you now if I hear anything back. In the mean time, I am refrained from accessing my NAS remotely and also setup a firewall rule to block any kind of WAN traffic to my NAS. Just can never be too careful these days.Lol

@bksml I have run into the same problem but it is corporate IT letting me know about it. Did you hear back from them or get an update to the incident ticket? Is the incident ticket public so I can take a look?

FWIW there is an quite aged report about that in here:

https://community.wd.com/t/security-vulnerability-cve-2016-6255-in-libupnp-allows-file-upload/176448

THIS JUST IN!
New Release - My Cloud Firmware Versions 2.31.149 (10/19/18)

1 Like

But unfortunately not for the MyCloud Mirror 1st gen with the 2.11.x FW yet. Any plans to provide such throughout security fixes for those devices as well?

@SBrown Thank you sir. I have had some difficulties downloading the firmware directly through my cloud (for some reason my cloud is unable to reach the server), but I was able to download the firmware from the website and flash it manually. All the critical vulnerabilities are now cleared according to my scanner. Appreciate you guys working on this…Well done!

check this fix. It cleared all the vulnerabilities for me.