VPN Server EX2

Hi,

I really wanna buy the MyCloud EX2 but I got some questions first. I have try looking for an answer but really cant find and just wanna make sure.

1. Can I use it as a VPN server?
  2. Can I put media files on it, then use plex on my iPad to stream the media to my apple tv?
  3. Can I stream media in the same way as above if Im at a friends house?

Thanks!

1. No VPN server
  2. Yes you can, Plex is supported
  3. it depends by your network speed but yes, you can

I got my EX2 because it was one that had the GPL source code released and the full kernel source. After some trial and error I was successfully able to set up an OpenVPN server on it (which works surprisingly well - streaming HD video through it!).

If you don’t mind voiding the warranty, I wrote a guide on how to compile a custom firmware here:

I know this post was made 3 months ago, so surely the OP has made the decision on whether or not to go for an EX2 for their needs…but this is for other users looking for the same info. TCWORLD’s writeup was very good - but if you don’t want to go through all the trouble of compiling your firmware (I believe he and I are among a handful few who prefer to build our custom firmware after making our desired changes) then do yourself a favor and buy a QNAP NAS instead of a WD NAS. Of course the price is much higher (but they have low end, cheaper NASes too these days) but you get VPN server and Plex functionality out of the box - just requires a few settings changes through their easy-to-follow browser-based GUI.