[Volume Status] Volume 'DataVolume' is in degraded mode

Hi,

I recently purchased a WD sharespace an have noticed the following message

[Volume Status] Volume ‘DataVolume’ is in degraded mode.

Can anyone telll me if this a hardware or software issue?

Regards,

Brian

I have the same error message and so far I can’t find out how to do anything about it.

Michael

Generally a degraded volume means that a physical disk has failed.

In advanced mode goto: storage → disk manager and check the status of all your disks.  Are they all “good”?

I had the same problem after an unexpected power failure

So i took out the faulty Hard disk drive and checked it for errors on my desktop computer. Disk check tool didn’t find anything  so i formatted and put it back to the NAS. FYI this will take about 1 or more days to re-sync the drive.

1 Like

Hey man, this is a hardware issue. I’vebought my NAS Sharespace in Jan 14th.

I just had the same problem yesterday saying my DataVolume was in Degraded mode.

I took the HDD and installed on an external enclosure and could not get the HDD working on my desktop.

NAS unit still works fine. just the HDD failed.

I will give a try to ‘supwner’ advice and see if it works. otherwiser go straight to warranty RMA.

WD green HDDs are pretty cheap with no realiabilty at all, I knew that, but I could not imagine that a HDD could live for 10 only. just BS.

I’ve already called wd support to get the RMA number.

I had the same problem come up this week; albeit all drives were still green for initial period, then 1 drive failed.

I am using RAID5 and all the data seems to be fine and intact, running a backup of the data to another drive at the moment, and in fact I was still able to stream a movie to a PS3 last night.

Checked the warrenty and still have 11months left on a 3yr term. Spoke with WD here in Singapore and guy just said do an RMA on the HD, drive by their offices and they will replace it straight away. Seems easiest option for me.

supwner wrote:

I had the same problem after an unexpected power failure

So i took out the faulty Hard disk drive and checked it for errors on my desktop computer. Disk check tool didn’t find anything  so i formatted and put it back to the NAS. FYI this will take about 1 or more days to re-sync the drive.

Thanks this worked for me :slight_smile: it took 16 hour’s to resync, probarly i have to by a ups…