Vista looking for drivers and BSODs

AndyTampa wrote:

It is not the first post of the device causing BSODs

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/MyCloud-crashes-my-Windows-7-laptap-every-time/td-p/847976

The above post seems to have ended without resolution.

The BSOD that other thread talks about appears to be related to using one of the WD apps, my guess is the WD My Cloud Desktop app on their Windows PC. There is a known issue for some who use the WD My Cloud Desktop app where once that app is opened, some users experience Windows Explorer crashing. There is one or two other threads covering this very specific Windows Explorer crashing issue related to that WD My Cloud Desktop app that affects a few users.

Generally one does not need to install “drivers” to access the WD My Cloud. One should be able to access the WD My Cloud on their local network via Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer). It will show up in the “Network Neighborhood” or under “Network”. If it is not showing up under Network then check the network settings on both the Vista PC, ensuring it has the same Network Name/Network Workgroup (typically “workgroup”) that the WD My Cloud uses under “Settings → Network → Network Workgroup”. The other recommended suggestion is to configure the WD My Cloud for a static IP. Either within the WD My Cloud administration UI or within one’s router/gateway. Both the Vista PC and the WD My Cloud should be in the same IP address subnet (for example both should have an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range).

If you have not done so read through the WD My Cloud User Manualin particular “Using Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7” under “Getting to the Public Share” for the general procedure of accessing the WD My Cloud shared folders with Windows Explorer on Windows Vista.