Virtual cd gives error

Hi there,

I looked to see if other people posted on this problem, but couldn’t find it.

From the first moment I connected my passport essential to a computer, it has been giving the following error when trying to load the virtual cd: 

The application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting

I have downloaded the smartware and updated the firmware and for the rest, things are working fine at my Vista laptop, but I’m wondering whether this might give me trouble in the future, for instance when connecting to other computers with XP.

Thanks a lot for your help!

You shouldn’t have any issues now that you updated the firmware.  You may have to install the latest version of Smartware though. 

Hello, I bought my passport essantial yesterday!

I updated it  to the last firmware but I still have issues like this “The application has encountered an unexpected error and is now exiting” using unlock.exe and also wd smartware main setup has problems: I need to launch setup from vcd by WD SmartWare folder  and then Setup (x86)!

I have also problems when I use it with a different pc: I need to install manually driver; windows xp is not able to find them!

I’m very unhappy!

I bought it  today and I have the same problem…does the installation of the new firmware helps?

I don’t think.

Where I bought the product I have tested on both Windows XP and 7 that worked, at home no!