Video read directly from My passport

Hello all, I’m a new user!! :slight_smile: Sorry for my bad English, but I have a problem…

I want to know why I can’t see videos (normal .avi videos) directly from my external drive (My Passport) as well as on my Mac. I don’t know why, but when I open the video (i use VLC) every 4 or 5 minutes it “jerks” (I don’t know how to say it in English), it stops for 2 seconds and then continues… :s

Thank you for the assistance!

Thank you for answers…

That was helpful! :slight_smile:

Some solution… 

You may be asking this question in the wrong forum.  Do files play when started from other external drives (even a flash drive)?  What kind of passport are you using?  What is it formatted in?  Is it connected to a hub?  Are you using a USB cable longer than 18 inches?  Are these downloaded files, or did you encode them yourself?

Aaaah, thank you very much for the aswer!

Why is this the wrong forum?

However: yes, the files play when started from another external drive (with 2.0 USB); it is “My Passport Essentials” and it has 1TB of memory; It’s formatted in FAT32; the cable is not more than 18 inches long; i downloaded the files but they play normally when started from my computer (MAC OS X).

Now I’m trying to install the Turbo driver…

Nothing, it works better but the problem is still the same…

HeLLiMiNaToR wrote:

Aaaah, thank you very much for the aswer!

Why is this the wrong forum?

However: yes, the files play when started from another external drive (with 2.0 USB); it is “My Passport Essentials” and it has 1TB of memory; It’s formatted in FAT32; the cable is not more than 18 inches long; i downloaded the files but they play normally when started from my computer (MAC OS X).

Now I’m trying to install the Turbo driver…

So, the files play when they’re on your computer, or on another external drive.  But they don’t play from the Passport.  If you copy the files back to the computer, from the Passport, do they play?  How large are the files you’re trying to play?  What Mac OS are you running?

Oh, and the reason I said that you might be on the wrong forum, was because you’re issue seemed more like a media issue.  And it still might be, but let’s see.

Uhm, I hope!

The files are 20 min. long, *.avi format and they’re about 274 MB.

For more infos about codecs:

VIDEO
Resolution: 640x360
Encoding: XVID
FPS: 23.976000
AUDIO
Encoding: mpga
Channels: 2
Sampling: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 192 kb/s

“If you copy the files back to the computer, from the Passport, do they play?” —> Yes, they play normally.

Ah, My Mac is a MacBook Pro (so Mac OS X Snow Leopard)…

After rereading your first post, you say that the files do play from your Passport, but they stop and go, or are jerky.  Is that correct?  If that’s the case, you might try a couple of things.  One, defragment the hard drive (you may have to find a utility or a Windows pc, if you can’t do it on your Mac).  Or, two, take the data off, reformat the drive, and put the files back on to see if that fixes it. 

I can’t do the second thing because i need all the files that are into the HD and now i can’t put them anywhere!

However i’ll try to defrag the hard drive… Thank you!