Video files never start?

My WD Live TV worked ok for the first few days I had it (albiet slower than sweet death at everything). Now I go to start a video from the network and I get the spinning arrow graphic forever and no video. What’s the deal?

This thing has been a giant PITA the entire time. If it did what it said it did, I’d be a happy customer.

This is a known issue if you recently attempted to play an unsupported file.

The only remedy is to completely reboot the box by unplugging it.

If you can find the file that is causing the issue, then that file can be examined.

Thanks for the reply.

Is WD quick about fixing this stuff or do issues like keep going on?

Debating whether to return or not.

Well, WD *might* fix it, but in reallity, if that’s the issue, the onus is on you to correct the file.  

I dont think a message saying “wrong file type, please try again while we work to make more files types compatible with our device” instead of locking up mysteriously would be out of line. :wink:

Thanks.

Agreed…   Usually it WILL do that, but sometimes it doesn’t know that it can’t support the file, and it crashes the renderer when it attempts to play it.

If it KNOWS it can’t support it, it won’t try to play the file, and will instead indicate that error.

I just started having this issue but maybe due to something new I’ve started.   First, I’ve been using a WDTV Live since they were first introduced.  I connect over the network to a DNS-321 NAS as a media server.   Other than needing to once every few months reboot the NAS or the router, I am quite pleased how things have been working.

Well, last night I decided to create some SRT files for captioning.  This was the first time I’ve attempted this and really don’t have a great need.  Just tinkering.  Anyway, I read to use the SRT files, I would need to connect as a network share rather than as a media server.  No problem.  I did that and success.  I turned on the subtitles and there was the captioning.  Great.

Success shortlived.  Worked well the first time.  Second attempt I was greeted with the continous spinning wheel.   It was the same file.  WTH!   Tried to connect as a media server.  Same result.  Spinning wheel.  Rebooted router and NAS.  No joy.   Finally, unplugged the WDTV and rebooted.  Success.   Connected as media server and as network share fine.  Tuned on titles.  Fine.  Exited and tried to play file again.  Spinning wheel.  

OK, I tried this over and over using the same file.  After exiting a captioned file I have to reboot the WDTV every time before I can connect again. 

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I rolled back to FW 2.07.17 and this problem doesn’t seem to exist on my hub anymore. When it can’t play a file it says it can’t and all returns to normal. I can go to my WD LIVETV Plus and it plays the SAME EXACT file just fine. Go figure?? Since a new FW got released I decided to try it (FW 3.03.13) still isn’t fixed I can tell you that, so I rolled back to good old 2.07.17. I don’t know if it started with 2.08.xx but I know it exists with V3.01.xx and up.

I sure would like to take advantage of the new features but I’m just not willing to give up the ability to play video or MP3’s.

Does anyone know if this has been reported as an issue?