Very High Constant CPU Cycles with WD SmartWare Pro 2.4.21.1

Over time my computer has slowed down considerably. It’s a 3-1/2 year old Toshiba Satellite S75-B7121 with a 4th generation i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz processor and 16GB of RAM, running Win10, which is up to date.

After experiencing constant slowdowns and even near stoppages in processing, I run Task Mamager and find that WE Sync Service is showing “Very High” Power Usage, a “Very High” Power Usage Trend, a significant percentage of CPU, and a significant amount of memory usage. It spikes in these amounts every few seconds.

I tried to adjust backup so that it occurs while the computer is still on but when I’m not using it. No effect. I finally pushed “End Process” on Sync Service. It had a beneficial effect but despite my efforts, Sync Service started itself up again and the computer continues to grind to multiple halts.

I’d hate to have to turn the MyCloud software off entirely. I do want daily backups. But this is not a livable situation.

As far as I can tell, my version of SmartWare Pro is the most recent one - 2.4.21.1.

So what do I do to relieve this CPU and memory hogging?