Version 1.7.1.2- Tool to scrape TV Show Information for the WDTV Live Hub [9/17/2012]

The tool is for tv shows though… Why are we talking about how the movie database works? Or does the tvdb use the same API?

G_Dogg wrote:

I think I might have found a bug with the “file will be saved as” box.  I tried to add a space after the file name and the resulting xml file didnt have a space in the file name.  

Also, it would be nice if there could be a toggle button that would keep the naming convention for season or series saving rather than only for one episode. 

I am using mediasquirt (or mediasquid, cant remember the name of the program) to rename all my tv shows according to this convention: Sons of Anarchy 1x01 Pilot.avi  and I cant seem to get the output from Tony’s program to match the file names that I generated.  I cant find any drop down list that will include the episode name in the xml file.  I suppose I could alter how I name the file with the re-naming program but until WD fixes the xml title bug I’'d like to keep the episode name in the file title.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should be naming my tv shows to make them more compatible with Tony’s program?

Thanks,!

G

Putting a space at the end of the “File will be Saved As” dialog won’t do anything, except mess things up.

If you’re wanting a SPACE between the BaseName and the SxxExx.yyy part, then you have to put the space at the end of the BASENAME.

No, there’s no way to include the EPISODE NAME in the FILE NAME.    This tool is expecting you to name your files according to ITS convention (a notable limitation, I admit…  but that’s the way it is…)  

I added the option a while back to include the Episode Title in the OVERVIEW…  That’s what I’ve been doing since the hub doesn’t show the Title as the Title.  

Ok, That makes it all more clear now.  I cant wait to get home from work and try this again,

Thanks!

G

AD613 wrote:
The tool is for tv shows though… Why are we talking about how the movie database works? Or does the tvdb use the same API?

I’m saying that the reason the Hub-provided XML for MOVIES *works* and why this tool’s generated XML for TV SHOWS DOESN’T in some cases is because the MOVIE backdrops are NOT full resolution, as most people assumed, whereas the TV show backdrops ARE often Full-HD, and the Hub can’t handle them.

I’ve found a way around this…   It’s UGLY, but I found where the TVDB stores its LOW-RESOLUTION images.

I’m working on an update right now.

DO NOT USE THIS UPDATE if you’re not interested in this fix.

Ok, it’s been uploaded and the link is in the first post.

Release 1.0.3.4 2/1/2011
  -- Added a proper XML declaration at the top of the file. The Hub doesn't seem to care if one is absent, but it's still good practice...
  -- Corrected a problem when user attempted to put a space at the end of the filename.
  -- Temporary workaround: The FANART used is now a low-resolution version because the Full-HD versions may crash the Hub under certain circumstances.

And for you *nix users out there, you can quickly modify your affected XML files by using this command:

sed -i 's/banners\/fanart\//banners\/_cache\/fanart\//g' *.xml

within the directory that holds them.

Absolutely awesome tool. Thanks!

please explain what a nix user is, and how i can use that command to automatically replace all my pre-made xml files with the correct lower-resolution links for the backdrops…

also, i literally only have two ISO files, all of my movies are either mp4, MKV or avi-- and i’ve only used this tool to do TV Shows, which are also either mp4, mkv or avi – not a single iso tv show-- so do i need to even worry about this errror? as i have yet to experience any issues? or would u suggest i go back and redo them all with the updated version of the tool ?

*nix means linux or unix… If you aren’t having any problems, I wouldn’t do a thing.

it seems your app is taking accents well on the hub i mean instead of spaces i do have the accent so i can put the plot in my own language which is even more great, i hope in a future you’ll do one for movies just because of this :>

o/

boucher wrote:

it seems your app is taking accents well on the hub i mean instead of spaces i do have the accent so i can put the plot in my own language which is even more great, i hope in a future you’ll do one for movies just because of this :>

o/

Hee hee…  That’s something I never even tried.   Glad it works!   :slight_smile:

Actually, that’s pretty good info.   This is written in MS Visual Basic .NET 2010, and the Windows API handles all that text stuff internally, which is good news…

First of all thanks Tony for this application. I seem to have run into a problem with “Time Team” (series id 73096) Whilst loading the xml the program crashes with an unhandled exception, “The remote server returned an error (404) Not Found”  Is this thetvdb.com or your program ?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

That’s actually a problem with the TVDB database.

The database contains a URL to a file that doesn’t exist, and the XML Fetcher is unable to proceed since it thinks there is a file, but the server can’t find it.  :(

What makes this especially bad in this case is that the error is with the VERY FIRST EPISODE:

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=73096&seasonid=20561&id=333022&lid=7

If you open up that URL, you’ll see an Episode Image there, but the image is broken.

You’ll need to contact the TVDB folks and have them correct the database for that series.   You do that by posting in their forum, and just tell them “Season 0 of series 73096 has lots of broken Episode Image links.”   It can take a while for them to get to it, though…  so just be patient.

Hi Tony been meaning to say nice work on your tool…

Whilst i dont keep tv stuff myself (delete after watching) i know ALOT of people will find your program saving them literally hours of manual labour …

thanks Tony, will do that.

brilliant tool for the Hub, you’ve saved me several hours of manually doing this. One question though… I have WdTV live as well & when I bring up the TV series that are on my ext HD attached to the Hub, I have trawl through all the Jpgs before I get to the video files? Is there any way to get around this? It makes the WDTV Live TV menus look messy. The strange thing is, that this doesn’t happen with the movie files?

any chance to have the possiblity to exclude the episodes thumbnail (not the one from the backdrops), because when i save the xml it always come with the episode thumbnail, dunno why ;[

Hi,

This looks like an excellent tool and time-saver, do you know if it works on a Mac?

Thanks

StuN_UK wrote:
brilliant tool for the Hub, you’ve saved me several hours of manually doing this. One question though… I have WdTV live as well & when I bring up the TV series that are on my ext HD attached to the Hub, I have trawl through all the Jpgs before I get to the video files? Is there any way to get around this? It makes the WDTV Live TV menus look messy. The strange thing is, that this doesn’t happen with the movie files?

This is probably the most long-standing issue with the Live and Live+.   Doubt they’ll ever fix it.