Version 1.3.0.16 not updating / installing

same problem here; tried all the solutions mentioned; 1.3.0.16 will and does not install; it even deletes your older version, so you have to install that again!

Everey one Welcome,

I have also the same experience. Mybook 1tb elite uninstal when i update.

I have a q600 quadcore precessor. Maybe thats the broblem! I have also problems with picasa and the internet connection. MAybe there is an bug in that processor.

Please tell ur processor, and operation system

i have windows 7

I wait fot an new update this is **bleep**.

The problem does not lie on the CPU for sure. It is reported from all over the world, with wide range of different operating systems and machines used. A language bug was suspicious as happened at the first (?) version of the SmartWare software but it is a general failure. WD is just simply lazy to solve it. I am wondering about informing the media and spread the news…

Same here!! I have used the whole day to get the update to work, but without success:

• Smartdrive doesn’t update but uninstall the old version
  • Smartware dissapears at the end of the installation
  • the launch icon and the driver dissapears
  • now  the driver can’t be reinstalled
    - it’s impossible to install from the VCD

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Danish Vista Home Premium SP2 with newest updates AND .NET FW 1.1 and 3.5 SP1.
I wonder when it’s possible to solve this problem?! Grrrrrr

The same over here. I recently purchased a 750 GB My Passport Essential SE unit and tried to upgrade the software. Firmware upgrade worked fine, but WD Smartware upgrade failed in the same way as described in many other posts in this thread. My OS is MS Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Spanish version. I noticed this thread started in May, and after a few unsuccessful  replies from WD staff (WDJeremy, where are you?) no other support member has answered customers demands. Astonishing! My question now is: Is there, in the whole world, any single user that has achieved a successful upgrade? I guess the answer is NO, but if s/he exists and reads this, please tell us all how you got it. Otherwise, why is WD still delivering this faulty and useless installation version?

The same goes for me

I just bought a Passport essential and cannot install the smartware.

I see postings up to yesterday and no solutions

Anyone y WD is looking at these posts ?

Help

Same **bleep** for me

A real Windows Xp sp3 (everything up to date), with a my book essential 500Go

I believe we have waited long enough.  Ample evidence exists in my view to commence a Class Action against Western Digital.  Anyone interested?

I just bought a brand new WD My Passport Essential 640Gb and IT COMES BUNDLED with WD Smartware 1.3.0.16… so… a new drive completely useless after I installed it and created the VCD.

Now I cannot use it with my Win Xp or Win 7, thankyou WD.

Can you find a solution quick? I guess you are trying to find a solution since May… Why don’t you say something? 

Vista Home Premium 32 Russian

sure I CANT install the SmaaaaartWare like all of you guys)))

it surprises me that the 1.3.0.16 came out sooo long ago and they havent fix it yet…

well… what can I say… External HDD, You’re sooooo goin back to Best Buy LOL

Did we have some censorship here? We was already in the 10th page of comments, including one mentioning a message to [deleted for violation of privacy], who promised to a customer to have this problem fixed.

Please WD, is it so difficult to have an estimate to the fix? I work on a software company, and know how bad is it for a company image.

Same problem with my Mac.

I did not know a drive could be as TERRIBLE as this!  I just want an empty external drive - I want the software, firmware, and autocrap out of my life and off of my computer.  I was so excited to get a TB at this great price - until I realized it is the worst computer money I have ever spent.

The software is a nightmare, you can’t uninstall it, and now the firmware and fix they finally developed to do so won’t install. 

I will never buy another WD drive. 

Tambosi wrote:

Did we have some censorship here? We was already in the 10th page of comments, including one mentioning a message to [deleted for violation of privacy], who promised to a customer to have this problem fixed.

Please WD, is it so difficult to have an estimate to the fix? I work on a software company, and know how bad is it for a company image.

This is not censorship.  This is moderation according to our user guidelines.  The user guidelines distinctly state that you are not to post other people’s private information on the forum without their permission.  

Usage Guidelines
http://community.wdc.com/t5/New-to-WD-Community/WD-Community-Usage-Guidelines/td-p/6

[edit]

Also, you could contact WD Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.  Someone there might be able to help you more specifically.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Ok Bill,

And the new update version of software? You do not have any words to say about this?

OK, Bill, I understand and apologize for it. 

I have already asked for support, and told them the following:

"I recently bought a My Passport Essential 1 TB. I used Smartware for backup, but it is not so fast. Then I checked your website for updates, there’s is one promising faster backups (version 1.3.0.16), but it is not possible to install it in OS with language different from English. It had been discussed over the last two months in WD forum ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/Version-1-3-0-16-not-updating-installing/td-p/24420/highlight/true/page/8)), but so far no answer from WD.
When will you fix this bug?"

I received the following answer:

_"Dear Alexandre,

[deleted]
Unfortunately we do not have any additional information on this issue at this time. However, we are continually developing and updating our products, so this may be addressed in a future release of the software.

[deleted]_

Honestly: do you really think support can help us? Steven has no idea what we are talking about, and “this MAY be addressed…” means nothing for me.

And again, Tambosi, you’re posting private emails intended only for you.

Here, let me be a little more clear about this for everyone’s benefit.  The User Guideline says,

Protect privacy - yours and others.

• Don’t share anything about yourself or your organization that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard.
  • Share your business email address if you wish, but don’t post personal information-your own or anyone else’s-including contact information or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author’s consent.

So, posting emails from tech support with the agent’s name will get the post removed.  Is that now understood.  Furthermore, all of our support agent’s emails contain disclaimers telling you that you cannot share the content of the email publicly.

****************

Now, about what was said in the email, he can’t give you any better answer if he doesn’t have one.  Tech Support  won’t know when or even if a new update is coming out, until it’s released. 

Moreover, you need to know that there could be several things, that have nothing to with SmartWare, that could be causing these issues.  Not the least of which could be your .NET Framework.  So, in order to get help, you may need to call Tech Support for further, more specific, troubleshooting.  

Understand that I’m not defending SmartWare.   But we are constantly working on it to improve it.  (Sound familiar?)

[Edit]

And, no, I don’t know when the next update will be out.

I would like to do a ‘me too’ to confirm the problem still exist. SmartWare 1.2 that came with my drive works fine. When updating to 1.3 it says ‘update succesful’, but when I investigate it seems all the installer has done is remove 1.2 without installing 1.3.

I can reinstall 1.2 again from the drive and it will work fine again (except for the futile info that an update is available :slight_smile: )

Windows 7 Ultimate NL with all the latest updates and a complete and correctly working .Net Framework (all runtime versions.)

Guess I’ll just have to stick with 1.2 for now. Hope you guys can get it fixed, as the improvements promised sound good.

Thanks,

Maarten

@ Bill

I’m not a MAC user like jakamanti , but he have the same problem !

So I’m pretty sur .NET framework is not the the problem

thanks

I change for Handy backup, software much smarter. Now, Smartware software is in the trash, for ever.
Thank you for you great technical support

Hi guys!! I have the same problem too:

When install SmartWare 1.3.0.16 in some time of the installation i have the error:
“Service WD Management Shadow Engine (WDSC) failed to start. Verify that you have suficient provileges to start system services.”

When the installer show this windows i not close this windows i try to start manually the service ‘WD File Management Shadow Engine’ and have this: Error 1053: The system can´t respond to petition or start the control to the indicated time.

My OS: Windows XP SP3

Please WD give a solution for all users that entrusted in WD…