Velociraptor WD2500HHTZ: SMART not supported

I built a PC with the last Velociraptor the local Micro Center had for sale. The Intel PC has a Z68 board, so I added a 60GB SSD for caching and am running RST under RAID setting. Everything works okay. Today I noticed that the Velociraptor has no temperature data associated with it. I opened Speccy and saw a message that SMART is not supported on this drive, yet an older WD3200AAKS does display SMART data.

Another curiosity is that I started LifeGuard 1.29, but it immediately failed (DLGDIAG for Windows has stopped working). I started 1.28, but it immediately failed. I started 1.27 and it stated that SMART data is not available for the Velociraptor, but it is for the SE-16 drive. 1.24 works the same as 1.27 (sure glad I keep old versions).

What’s up with all that?

In case it matters, the OS is W-7 64-bit and board, CPU, and SSD are Intel. RST is version 13.6.0.1002 and I’m beginning to wonder if it causes problems with the Velociraptor.

Give the exact model name of your motherboard.

DZ68BC with i5-2500K CPU. Device Manager indicates no problems. A reboot changed nothing. And in case it wasn’t obvious, the Velociraptor is the system drive and the SE-16 is a data drive.

Your motherboard has besides the Intel OnChip SATA controller an additional SATA controller from Marvell. Where exactly are the drives connected? Intel or Marvell? If you have connected the Velociraptor to the Marvell and also the Marvell SATA controller driver is installed, the Smart-values could be blocked. If this is the case, connect the Velociraptor to an Intel port or replace the Marvell driver by the default AHCI driver from Microsoft.

I see where you’re going now. I have all drives connected to the Intel controller, using SATA III ports for the Velociraptor and SSD and SATA II ports for the SE-16 and DVD/CD. I am only using RAID to cache, so I am not using the Marvell controller at all. That’s a dead end.

Okay, I think I figured it out. I tried to uninstall RST, but was informed that it was impossible by the Intel dialog. That’s comforting. Then I turned-off caching and reset cache data in RST to wipe it all out. Then LifeGuard 1.29 would start and display SMART data. So this was an RST problem all along. Since I cannot uninstall RST, I’ll wipe the drive, reinstall W-7, and install the current version of RST from Intel Downloads, not the semi-custom one I was using.