Using WD my cloud on the local network only

Hi
I would like to use my WD My Cloud on my local network only (no remote access). I have a main router with internet access and another downstream router (lan to lan) to which the My Cloud is hard wired. I have assigned a static IP with a blank default gateway. I can log into the My Cloud via wifi from Chrome on my phone but cannot access it with the WD My Cloud android app, is the app to connect remotely only (through the internet)? It will only connect if I add the default gateway.
I have remote access turned on in the My Cloud settings, I assume that this should be off if I want it available locally only?
Lastly, when I tried to play MKV media through the My Cloud app to my Chromecast, it finds and connects to my chromecast but only wants to play the video via a player on my phone screen, the playback was also slow and choppy, almost as if it was streaming via my internet connection. What is the proper way to play video locally and have the the MyCloud work on the local network only?

1 Like

If you have not already done so you should read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) and or see the Help within the My Cloud Dashboard. Both explain the functions and features of the My Cloud including setting up access from mobile devices.

Disabling Remote Access within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings page does not affect a mobile device’s access to the My Cloud while connected to the same local network.

Generally, at least with the WD My Cloud mobile apps for Android, the WD app should scan and find the My Cloud on the local network provided that mobile device is connected via WiFi to that local network. You may need to access the WD mobile app menu to add or re-add a local network My Cloud.

On the Chromecast issue it appears, at least on the My Cloud Android app, that MKV is not supported for casting. I am able to cast MP4 videos without issue. I have no problems playing MKV videos on my Android devices using the MX Player app. You will probably need a media player app that supports casting MKV videos to a Chromecast.

I think that I understand what you intend by [quote=“SylverTyger, post:1, topic:170432”]
(no remote access)[/quote] I have a 3TB My Cloud configured so that I can connect using ethernet or WIFI in my home [local lan]. I used my router to block access coming from the Internet. My configuration is set to allow remote access, but I have disabled UPnP on my router.

@Bennor provided some good suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions @PJPfeiffer @Bennor. I have disabled remote access but for some reason it comes back on automatically. I will enable the default gateway as this seems to be the issue with access on the WD app. Hopefully I can work this out.

1 Like