Using as Time Machine

I would like to move my 1.8TB backup from the Apple Time Machine to my new 10TB G-Drive.

I have set the G-Drive as time machine, turned auto backup off and moved the back up from my Apple Time Machine to G-Drive. It took about 16 hours. It moved, but I could not turn TimeMachine backup on It did not like the file i copied there. How can I move my backup from Time Machine to the G-Drive? I would like to retain my old backup… if possible.

Hi Eternalspring22,

When Time Machine performs the first backup of the system, it may take a while. Set up Time Machine in the evening so that the initial backup can be done overnight. Subsequent backups take less time because only items that have changed are backed up.

To set up Time Machine to back up to a G-Technology drive, please refer to the link below:
https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/703

Note: Time Machine works best if the backup disk is only used for Time Machine backups. If there are files on the backup disk, Time Machine will not back up those files, and the space available for Time Machine backups will be reduced.