User Access problems (network password required ?)

I’ve setup the DL2100 with an admin and 11 users, when I try to click on a folder not marked as public I get the popup window:

Windows Security
Network password:
Please give in the network password in order to connect to: 192.168.0.108 (the NAS)

This also happens when I click on a share folder.

It asks for name and password …
when I do it simply says wrong password

Any idea what could be cauing this to happen ?

How can I see who I am loged in as according to the NAS?

Is there any limitation as to how many different logins with the same computer?

I was kind of try to check if the NAS access rules were working for diffent logins :frowning:

Also: how do I know if my (preconfigured) NaS is actually backing up all files on the second harddrive?

How does one see or access that ? (just curious)

At that point you’re not logged into the NAS - this is what it is asking you to do. You need to enter either your admin or one of your 11 user names, and the corresponding password. Note that both are case sensitive, as this is Linux you are logging into (the OS that the DL2100 is running is Linux-based).

If the user credentials that you are logging in with has access (read or read/write) on the share you’re trying to access then it should let you in. If the credentials are wrong, or the user is set to be denied access to that share, then it won’t let you.

Windows will ask you if you want to save the log-in credentials - if you do that it then won’t ask you again and it will always use those credentials for that share. If you don’t then it will ask you every time, and you can log in with a different username if you so desire.

As to your other question - if your drive is set up as RAID1 then it will automatically do the mirroring onto the second drive, and you will just see one drive when you connect. If you go in via SSH you may be able to see the drives individually (they should be visible in the /mnt folder as sub-directories) but I must admit I’ve never tried that in RAID1 mode as my MyCloud Mirror is in JBOD mode (so I can see each drive as they are operated individually and separately if I go in via SSH).

ok thanks a lot - i’ll take a slow look at it all again tommorow and let you know exactly what was happening …

ok that seemed to work as you said, although I seem to remember on one of the laptops used as a normal user acces that I had an error message about mutiple access on a single maschine. (user1, admin, user2 etc. individually not at the same time)

Are there any such things known about this when one tries to access with different accounts using a single device or should this not be an issue provided I always use the correct access data ? (just trying to understand better)

Also, I had trouble accessing the share folder (non-public) until I reset the password for the “admin” (same password just tipped in again) and the it worked fine. Any idea why something like this happens ? (does it flush some kind of network cache or something?)

As to the JBOD - I’ll leave that alone until I have time to study what is behind that type of storage  setup. I just hope that raid is doing it’s job and copying everything in case of failure :slight_smile:

I must admit I’ve never tried to access different shares from the same machine using different user account credentials concurrently - I’ll test it tonight if I get time to see if there are errors reported or not. Personally I just use my user log-in on the MCM, with the username and password cached by Windows so I don’t need to enter it every time.

No idea about the issue with the admin password either - to my knowledge that’s a new one. Maybe a problem with the entry of the original password when you tried to log in (mis-typed)?

For the disk modes, you have 4 options on the MCM (all of this for a basic 2x 2TB disk MCM):

• Raid 0 - data is “striped” across both disks. No data redundancy (duplication) but slightly better access speed performance. The available storage appears as one “virtual” 4TB drive. If one disk dies then you lose everything.
  • Raid 1 - data is automatically duplicated across both disks, so they are mirrors of one another. If one disk dies then you have all of your data safe on the other, which can be used to recreate the mirror after the failed drive is replaced. Storage available appears as a single 2TB drive.
  • Spanning - Similar to Raid 0 except it’s in a linear fashion (full one drive then start on the second). More chance of recovery if one disk fails, but still not guaranteed and no gain in access speed performance. Storage available appears as  a single “virtual” 4TB drive.
  • JBOD - “Just a bunch of disks” - operate the drives entirely independently. No data duplication, but if one drive fails the content of the other is entirely unaffected (presuming the cause of the first drive failure doesn’t harm the second too). Available storage appears as 2 separate 2TB drives.

Note that if you switch between modes, it involves formatting the drives into the new mode and so all data that is stored on them is erased.

OK, just tried it and it looks like you cannot access different shares using different user accounts from the same Windows machine at the same time (trial under Windows 7). I think this is probably more a limitation of Windows than the MCM though.

ok i’m on win7 pc too currently, with a win7 & win10 laptop as public access test devices.

(i’m attempting to setup a NAS with 1 admin and unlimited (public) access to a few folders on the NAS, for a small office with 4 workspaces and occasional visitors with laptops needing office file access - thats it)

I seem to forget how it worked the fist time but I have a question :slight_smile:

A person within range of the wifi signal must at least know my router password in oder to access the public folders right ? :) 

Or can anyone pick it out of the air if they are within range ? (sounds dumb but i’m trying to learn here ^^)

I seem to remember a dummy/live demo of the software online by WD but cant find it anymore - any idea ?

(just curious as it would be nice to have a test version to play with when the current NAS goes to an office i’m setting it up for, if the cloud access is a restricted version of the in-network versions access panel)

I’m hoping to have the same UI/access panel on the Cloud access as I do at home (where the NAS is), I’m going a mile away to test this tommorow :)  … although I’ve heard this may not be provided.

I would like to be able to “admin” the server from home as I do not work at the office i’m installing it for.

(users, rights, access etc.)

Also I’m having problems with the wdcloud app on my desktop pc, it 80% of the time pops up a blank screen with something about the certificat not matching the software and thus the connection a risk - whether i say continue or not nothing happens when i click on it - the other 20% works fine. No idea ^^ i’ve even reinstalled 3 times.

Thanks a  million Darren ^^ it was the hammer support forums (and the software for IT newbies) that made the decision to go with WD :slight_smile:

Thanks !!!

Merc

Ok, first things first :slight_smile:

Your NAS is only accessible to people who are logged into your network. So anyone who has logged into your network (has a valid username and password accepted by your router) can see the NAS, and is able to access any public share folders on it (and also the private shares if they provide appropriate log-in credentials for the NAS itself). 

Basically your NAS is just another computer on your network, but one without a screen or keyboard. It runs Linux, and its whole purpose is to just share the drives attached to it with other computers also on the network, plus to provide a small self-contained webserver to support its configuration dashboard.

The dummy/live demo you’re remembering is accessible from the WD apps for tablets and phones. If you install the app on an iPad or an Android device and connect it to the internet you will be able to see the demo (and if you’ve enabled cloud access on your NAS and set up access for your user(s) via their email addresses then they can remote access your NAS as well). Personally I don’t use the apps, so I can’t comment too much there (although I did play with them right at the start of my ownership of my NAS, I’m going from memory here).

Dashboard remote access is possible (there’s a setting in the dashboard for it), but again I’ve never tried it as it sounds like a security risk to me. If I need to do something like that, I make a remote connection to a machine on my network (normally I use Google Remote Desktop) and then just open Chrome remotely on that machine and connect to the dashboard normally within my network.

hi :slight_smile:

The NAS access explanation was exellent :slight_smile: understood perfectly.

Demo, hmm ^^ can’t find it, at the time it was a 1click access to it (no installing anything) about 4 weeks ago around the little MyCloud/MyCloud Mirror area.

I’ve tried the “WD Access” software but when I install and click on it nothing happens (although it seems to be running in the background). What is it supposed to do ? Any idea ?

I guess in the end I’ll go the remote desktop route for problems however I was hopeing to have some kind of “WD software based” access when “out of house” that would allow me the same access as when i’m LAN connected to the network. (create users, quotas, maintenance, change rights etc.)

Nice tipp with the remote desktop - thanks, i wasn’t thinking of that because i was so involved in thinking WD had that feature and i wasn’t seeing it.

All I was able to see today from outside the network was my admin folder, but no tools to do anything outside my folder :frowning:

Seems silly to call something a cloud and not be able to use it fully unless your sitting right next to it :slight_smile:

Thanks again Darren :slight_smile: this is really nice to have someone to turn to when you cant move forward here :slight_smile:

I try to at least give myself 2 hours before i ask a question ^^ sometimes longer, I like looking myself but after awhile the fun wears off ^^.

i’m having since 6 hours ^^ problems clicking on and accessing the NAS over windows explorer, but have absoolutely no problems accessing over the mycloud desktop app.

Any ideas why this happened/happens ?

(i changed nothing as far as access goes)

When I try with a laptop as admin i get in fine.

I know this is probably a windows thing and not a WD problem but maybe someone had this one before and had a tip or two ^^.

the first few hours it would let me view nonpublic folders without a password - which it accepted in no variation :slight_smile:

now (the last few hours) it simply say i’m not authorized to access the MyClound2100 under Network in explorer.

(win7 64bit)

If you’re using the desktop app on the same computer that you’re now failing to access on via Windows Explorer, log out of and fully close (exit) the app and see if that helps. It may be that access via one route is blocking the other.

I tried the WD My Cloud app on my tablet earlier, and it no longer seems to have the access to the demo server (it certainly used to, but that was a while and a couple of versions ago). So it may not be available any longer. But the app does have a few basic management features in it for user and firmware. But for full control, you need remote access as discussed before.

i was hoping youd reply ^^

i tried everything,

it still logs into the mycloud desktop app

and http://wdmyclouddl2100.local/ access

but still asks for a network login for mycloud access

(the blue compter logo with WDMyCloudDL2100 underneath it)

using windows explorer (how most are planed to access data) :( 

No idea i’ll try pulling all plugs overnight, sometimes that helps :).

I’m still trying to find a solution to remote use the server for

user creation,

folder rights

and turning on and off the cloud user access - without having to drive to the office 20 miles away ^^.

Thanks again Darren for all the usefull tipps here ^^ it makes the whole thing fun rather than a guessing game :slight_smile:

To be clear, you’re having problems with access via www.wd2go.com using internet explorer?

Am I correct there, so basically the internet web access doesn’t work, but the local dashboard access does, as do the WD apps.

I haven’t personally used the web access at all, but I think at the very least you need to ensure that the cloud access is enabled in the NAS dashboard(ribbon menu > settings > general > cloud access section).

As I said before, personally I prefer to use a remote desktop into my netbook on my local network and then to access the dashboard locally via that (through the equivalent of the http://wdmyclouddl2100.local/ access you mentioned). For remote file access I use webdav, with the relevant ports forwarded in my router to my NAS.

If you can confirm my understanding of the current issue is correct I’ll see what I can do to assist, but at the moment I have cloud access turned off as I don’t like the overhead of the drive scanning and thumbnails (the old .wdmc folders) that it entails, or at least used to entail until the new OS version.

hi :slight_smile:

I still have the problem since 2 days now, the desktop pc can access per WD MyCloud Desktop app and over the http://wdmyclouddl2100.local/  access in a browser.

What does not work is the normal windows folder "Network) - there is listed all computer in the network, then all multimedia elements and beneath that is Storage elements.

This folder when I click on the WDMYCLOUDDL2100 (PC icon) - there it asks for a name and network password.

I have tried the router combo and NAS login, but neither work.

On all other laptops and co. it works no problem (click in explorer (not the internet one) and browse through the folders which are public)

I’ll keep trying to figure it out and post it, maybe someone else had these problems come up too.

(forgot to turn everything off as a test last night )

If you go to control panel and then users, then select your user (if you have multiple users on the machine) and then manage credentials (usually on the left hand side). That’s where Windows stores credentials (saved usernames and passwords) - look for the one for the NAS and remove it then try to connect again. It will ask for your login details again (your NAS ones), see if that re-enables your access.