Use two MBL as one

Hi all,

My MyBook Live storage room is filling up quite fast. I have the 2TB version.

Is it possible to easily buy another 2TB MBL and somehow connect them together?

I want my MacBook still to handle both drives as one, I want it to see like one share of 4TB storage room.

Does MBL support such NAS features?

Unfortunately there is no native functionality that will allow you to do this.

Toretto wrote:

Thats a shame :frowning: - I’m totally out of room on all of mine as well, and no one (WD, Seagate, Hitachi, etc.) seems to want to make a bigger drive these days - by now I expected at least a high-end single drive of 6TB in size (Really I was thinking we’d be closer to 10 by now)… instead all we have are 3TBs :frowning:

Also any chance of a My Book Live 2 (like the World Edition 2) drive with multiple drives in it? While not the best solution, this would at least allow for more space while we wait for bigger single drive solutions…

Ardvark wrote:

Toretto wrote:

Thats a shame :frowning: - I’m totally out of room on all of mine as well, and no one (WD, Seagate, Hitachi, etc.) seems to want to make a bigger drive these days - by now I expected at least a high-end single drive of 6TB in size (Really I was thinking we’d be closer to 10 by now)… instead all we have are 3TBs :frowning:

Also any chance of a My Book Live 2 (like the World Edition 2) drive with multiple drives in it? While not the best solution, this would at least allow for more space while we wait for bigger single drive solutions…

I can’t really comment on products that may or may not come out in the future.  If history repeats itself, there would be a My Book Live 2-drive unit.  As we have not announced such a product that this time, I wouldn’t really be able to say whether or not we would have such a thing down the road.

Aardvark et al:

Check this thread.   Maybe that will give you a hint of what to do:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Multiple-MBLs-and-Twonky-Sharing/m-p/229706/message-uid/229706/highlight/true#U229706

Ooh…  Ever heard that story about keeping all your eggs in one basket?  For one full 6Tb drive to faul with it’s full up to the brim with irriplacable stuff or stuff that would be a pain to get would be a mentally painful experience.

Yep!

However, it’s not really doing that.   The “downstream” MBL would be fine even if the “Master” failed.  :)