Use TV's own Remote like for soundbars

I think the WD TV Live is great!

I would love it even more if i could use my own TV remote to operate it (or at least the most basic functions).

I can for example operate my (third-party) soundbar with my TV remote after going through some simple ‘programming’ steps. Couldn’t this be implemented into future WD TV Lives?

Yes the WDTV Live is great ! … try then posting in the correct forum

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/bd-p/streaming_discussions

This forum is the WDTV Personal Edition   released 2014

sandersonii wrote:I would love it even more if i could use my own TV remote to operate it (or at least the most basic functions).

That’s what the HDMI (CEC) setting is for …

1 Like

Oh wow! Thank you! I will try this.

Apologies about posting in the wrong forum.

This is what the user manual says … however, *disclaimer*  i cant’t get it to work with my Panasonic TV Remote :cry:

1 Like

I just found that passage in the manual as well.

I also have a Panasonic! Argh.

I got this to work somewhat.

On the Panasonic remote the only keys that work are FF, play/pause and stop.

The OK/Enter is not working and the steering wheel also have no impact. Which means the second remote is still required to select an item to play. Is that normal or to be expected?

well that’s good you got it working “somewhat”

personally, i just pickup and use the wdtv remote, which sits beside my panasonic tv remote on the coffee table.

sure, a second remote to use … but i haven’t got a problem with that (got heaps of remotes, i love’em :wink:  )

of course, the other alternative is spend the big bucks $$ and grab a Harmony Remote that will do everything

I found out that the Amazon Fire TV (good PLEX support) also only supports the same commands from the Panasonic remote (Play/Pause, FF, Stop).

Maybe there is an overriding factor that causes this implementation to be so limited (CEC specification?). ROKU 3 doesn’t have CEC support at all.

I am not sure i fully trust that Harmony Remote and that it’s worth the cost.